Funny how you can spot a pro a mile off

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited March 2015 in Pro race
Still in Nice. Lots of cyclists on the Promenade de Anglais yesterday . Then in quick succession an Astana rider then and MTN then another Astana They stood out a mile from the other (serious ) cyclists They seem to radiate some super powers!

Comments

• tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    did the astana riders stand out because they were glowing :lol:
  • Or wearing sky blue full length lycra onesies?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    Still in Nice. Lots of cyclists on the Promenade de Anglais yesterday . Then in quick succession an Astana rider then and MTN then another Astana They stood out a mile from the other (serious ) cyclists They seem to radiate some super powers!

So true. It's like they're cycling in a vacuum where the wind doesn't touch them in the same way somehow.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    They're just thinner and wear more clothes.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    okgo wrote:
    They're just thinner and wear the correct amount of clothes.

FTFY. :)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    You can spot a pro a mile off, but in a matter of a few seconds they appear to be two miles off.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Tim_jones
    Tim_jones Posts: 17
    I usually consider most cyclists to be 'pros' as they all seem to be passing me. I can't spot them miles away though, well not until they pass me anyway
  • Ashbeck
    Ashbeck Posts: 235

So true. It's like they're cycling in a vacuum where the wind doesn't touch them in the same way somehow.

This is true. Gradients don't seem to slow them down either, it's like God smooths out the bumps in front of them, but the minute I come along he ramps them back up with his Map Editor Tool.

My routes take me around Essex and I've seen Dowsett quite a few times (once on the Central Line-but that doesn't count) and one day i was giving it the beans through Epping when he came past with his moped man in tow. He pulled out a gap and that daft part of my brain said 'chase him', so i did. A mile up the road i actually started catching him up, giving it full gas, breathing like a drowning pig with a BPM of 400, i was ecstatic...

As i went past i realised he'd stopped for a p*ss. :oops:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Gradients don't seem to slow them down either

This^^ Hills that would slow down us mere mortals they seem to fly up.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Ben6899
    t4tomo wrote:

It's hardly a hill, but we all saw how quickly the Olympic Road Race went up Box... really rather impressive, when you consider most weekend warriors are 'spinning' a 34/27 to get to the café in one piece. :)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    Ben6899 wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

It's hardly a hill, but we all saw how quickly the Olympic Road Race went up Box... really rather impressive, when you consider most weekend warriors are 'spinning' a 34/27 to get to the café in one piece. :)

Speak for yourself Ben.

I'm aiming for a 6 minute zig-zag turn-on to the café this year.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Make sure you pick the right wind and you'll be fine!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Even on the likes of Grinton Moor which was a big struggle for me in bottom gear. The pros just looked like they were riding along the flat!
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069

When I lived in Maastricht I would see some of the local pros out and about from time to time on training rides. Amazingly slim, incredibly smooth and always immaculately turned out. Another league indeed...
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    Ashbeck wrote:

This is true. Gradients don't seem to slow them down either, it's like God smooths out the bumps in front of them, but the minute I come along he ramps them back up with his Map Editor Tool.

My routes take me around Essex and I've seen Dowsett quite a few times (once on the Central Line-but that doesn't count) and one day i was giving it the beans through Epping when he came past with his moped man in tow. He pulled out a gap and that daft part of my brain said 'chase him', so i did. A mile up the road i actually started catching him up, giving it full gas, breathing like a drowning pig with a BPM of 400, i was ecstatic...

This post needs more appreciation :-D
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Ashbeck
    Ashbeck wrote:

Honestly, it really doesn't :D

I'm trying to forget it. I went from feeling like Tony Martin to Rodney Trotter in the space of 2 seconds.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Ashbeck wrote:
    Ashbeck wrote:

Honestly, it really doesn't :D

I'm trying to forget it. I went from feeling like Tony Martin to Rodney Trotter in the space of 2 seconds.

This is an awesome story! I had a similar incident last summer with Ellen van Dijk (who was NOT immaculately turned out I might add, old Lululemon bibs with Boels jersey). She passed me while I was waiting at the lights just as they turned green. I started catching her, going at my limit for a couple of kms, and then had a horrible period of what to do, pass her, not pass her, because she was clearly just out for an early Monday morning turn of the peddles as if she was off to the shops, and I was going all out. She turned off just before I had to make the awful decision of what to do, wheel suck Ellen van Dijk or over take her only to be ritually humiliated. It was a blessing really, that she turned off.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Not always this easy

fat+lampre+guy.jpg

bettiniphoto_0130232_1_full_670.jpg
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

Speak for yourself Ben.

I'm aiming for a 6 minute zig-zag turn-on to the café this year.

Ha. Don't worry, 6-minutes is well under wraps already. :)
    Ben

• Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Chris Boardman used to fly past me whilst driving to work, used to scare the hell out of me and everyone else.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Ashbeck
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Chris Boardman used to fly past me whilst driving to work, used to scare the hell out of me and everyone else.

Did he have a helmet on? :lol:
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    I have done the Duo Normand time trial a few times and always make sure to watch the pros after I have raced, after about 40k you do an out and back leg and there is a drag that goes past a garage for those you have ridden it before, and they hit it and just carry their flat speed all the way up, smooth as you like, it makes you understand how they take 10 minutes out of you when you feel like you have nothing more to give.
  • On the other hand, the bloke from Wanty Group me and a friend passed on the Leberg on Saturday looked worse than mortal. His friend from Roompot though looked absolutely mighty.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent