Campag Athena front shifter

Hooch1987
Hooch1987 Posts: 55
edited March 2015 in Workshop
I've purchased a Athena groupset and just wondered how many clicks should the left hand shifter be able to make? Mine can currently shift upwards two sets of three clicks or any combination to six in total, would this mean possibly that I have been sent a triple set of shifters by accident or do you just set the high limit screw so that the extra clicks would not do anything? Shifters were OEM so no packaging to help check.

Comments

• Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    It's designed to allow you to trim the front mech. Give the lever a good shove and you'll shift from the small to big ring. Single click short shifts let you fine tune the position of the mech.
  • Apologies if this is a little off topic (it was as close as I could find). I was just about to go ahead and order an Athena groupset for my new summer build, but have only just noticed that Campag no longer do cranks shorter than 170. As my preference is for 165's or 167.5's, my question is how well do the shifters work with another brand of chainring?

Any advice appreciated.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Apologies if this is a little off topic (it was as close as I could find). I was just about to go ahead and order an Athena groupset for my new summer build, but have only just noticed that Campag no longer do cranks shorter than 170. As my preference is for 165's or 167.5's, my question is how well do the shifters work with another brand of chainring?

Any advice appreciated.

Fine in my experience. No experience of modern Athena but have used old Veloce nine speed levers from the early 2000s on triple chainsets on my tourer using various chainrings, ramped and unramped, including TA.