Help please :)

yabo77
yabo77 Posts: 4
edited April 2015 in Commuting general
Hello,

After almost 6 years and thousands of commuting kilometers, I decided to part from my Specialized Sirrus Elite. It is simply so used, I had to admit last week it is not fun to ride anymore.
So...I started looking. The natural place was more of the same...Sirrus Elite model 2015. I can get the disc version in Denmark (I live in Copenhagen) for about 580GBP. It looks like a good deal, I had really enjoyed my current Sirrus..so, why look further, eh?

Well, mainly because I do not really know what is out there, and I cannot find any reviews for this particular model. Among other things, I like the fact it only has 18 gears (don´t need more in this flat country..)

(too) long story short - can anyone recommend this model or shout No, wait, you have to see this first :!:
anyone with a similar model at this price range (broke my piggy bank for a new mountain bike lately..) worth looking at - come forward and convince :)

Thanks in advance.

Good weekend,
Shahar

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is 18 gears 2x9 (good) or 3x6 (bad), for that much I would very much hope the former!

Assuming you have Decathlon stores in Denmark they are worth a look at as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • yabo77
    Sure is 2X9 :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thought it would be, but with Spesh's pricing of lower end models you never no!

The Sirrus is a good solid bike, the Marasa from Halfords (no good to you I guess) is a good value competitor, otherwise the only other to spring to mind is the too 'fit' models from Decathlon, not quite the same bike but very good value and worth a look.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    yabo77 wrote:
    Hello,

After almost 6 years and thousands of commuting kilometers, I decided to part from my Specialized Sirrus Elite. It is simply so used, I had to admit last week it is not fun to ride anymore.

Really, after 20 years and over 20,000 miles I still enjoy riding my old hybrid, admittedly only the frame, forks, stem and seatpost are original. Is there nothing you can do to revitalise the Sirrus?
  • yabo77
    That is a good point...I guess it would need a serious service, with replacing many components (wheels, seat, sifters, front derailleur, brakes, etc) and therefore I am not sure it is worth it. Especially as the new model is not that pricey.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I could have replaced it a long time ago and I would imagine that cost of the replacement parts would have bought a new bike but there again the cost of the replacement parts have been about £70 per groupset. Sourced mainly from CRC / ebay / Wiggle when they've been heavily discounted; groupsets being chainset, shifters & rear mech. The chain, cassette and to a certain degree wheels, I view as consumables so it's not that bad and it's gone from a 7 speed up to a 9 speed with few problems.