New bike, choices!!

FiferBrian
FiferBrian Posts: 3
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi All

Year long lurker here, have finally join up to seek advice and jot down to occasional topic or reply.

Had a small heart problem 18months ago (58 yo) that the amazing NHS fixed, to help get fit again but not owning a bike for over 20years I bought a Claud Butler Explorer 300 hybrid with the intension of cycling on the paths and track around the East Nuek of Fife but have spent most of the year cycling on tarmac.

So I'm going to take advantage of the Cycle To Work Scheme to get a decent road bike but as usual to many choices in the relaxed geometry category (not as flexible as I used to be :wink: I've narrowed it down to these four that are all stocked locally so I can have a sit and hopefully test ride them; Giant Defy 0; Cannondale Synapse 105 5 Disc; Orbea Avant H30D; Raleigh Revinio 4 Disc. I'm leaning towards the Defy but would really like discs as this will be an all year ride and Fife is not the driest place even in summer :o

So with all that, what is not to like with any of my choices assuming I'm comfortable with the fit?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would go and have a look at them and see what you think. For heavier riders, in the wet or commuting where you may need to brake hard a lot discs will help and perform better than rim brakes. That being said if you prefer the defy you will soon get used to less effect rim brakes.

The main thing is the bike is the right size and fits you well. Also look at last years bikes which will be on sale brand new at discounted prices.