Campag Shamal Mille wheels

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Has anybody got these and had issues with the black brake track wearing off?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    If they're anodized then that will happen pretty much instantly. The same thing happens with the H & Sons Archetypes rims.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    This is with the Mavic style 'special coating'?
    What pads have you been using.
    I have the Fulcrum Zero Nites and have been running ordinary cork carbon wheel pads.. no degradation.
  • on-yer-bike
    They come with special blue pads. A friend has had to send back as the black only lasted two rides. One was wet. I was considering them but slightly wary. They are not like Archytypes the rims are supposed to stay black.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Is the braking still ok if the black wears off?
    I'm looking at getting a set of I can sell my tubs :?
  • jgsi
    I had the supplied blue pads on for about 10 minutes .. they shreeked from the off... so have been using other branded carbon specific pads -- no issues what so ever.
    The coating is not supposed to degrade, so something went wrong there.
    Makes life easier as you can swap wheels without changing pads, if for instance you want to run a deep section on the back for a particular reason.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Apart from when you get a stone chip on the surface (which you WILL get at some point) rusulting in a small shard in your brake pad which subsequently has a field day on your carbon rim.

Re shrieking. This can be resolved by a bank card and toeing in the pad.
  • jgsi
    Apart from when you get a stone chip on the surface (which you WILL get at some point) rusulting in a small shard in your brake pad which subsequently has a field day on your carbon rim.

Re shrieking. This can be resolved by a bank card and toeing in the pad.

They are alloy rims with a coating a la Mavic Exalith.
    The blue Fulcrum supplied pads were indeed set as I normally set them... they may be the official pads to use on the rims, but imo they seemed too harsh anyway to use... hence ditched apart from the noise issue.
    The other carbon rim pads do not make a sound apart from a stopping sound... but thanks for the tip anyways.
  • thegreatdivide
    I've been running RSYS SLR's with Exalith 2 for a couple of years now. Be prepared for little silver spots. It's a fact of life for this type of rim coating. I certainly wouldn't share the same pads with my carbon brake tracked wheels. Especially since this is Campagnolo's first attempt at copying Mavic. Look at the state their first gen Exalith wheels got into!
  • rc856
    They come with special blue pads. A friend has had to send back as the black only lasted two rides. One was wet. I was considering them but slightly wary. They are not like Archytypes the rims are supposed to stay black.

Just wondering what happened with your friends and the returned wheels?
    I'm just in from my second ride on the wheels and I've got plenty of silver patches showing through the black brake track :(
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    I was looking at these but not if they don't stay black,think I might get the mavics again.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • on-yer-bike
    RC856 wrote:

Just wondering what happened with your friends and the returned wheels?
    I'm just in from my second ride on the wheels and I've got plenty of silver patches showing through the black brake track :(
    The shop gave him a refund.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • rc856
    Ok, cheers.
    I've been in touch with Wiggle but no-one can give me a definitive answer as to whether the rims are supposed to stay black.....don't know if that's just an impossible ask? Do the Exalith stay black?
    Wiggle do say that 130 miles, wet or not, does seem a bit too soon but I've to send in pictures.

I've e-mailed Campag but haven't heard back from them yet.
  • thegreatdivide
    Some Mavic RSYS wheels with the original Exalith treatment suffered from a bit of grief with buyers wheels producing light patches after wet rides – however I know a guy who has v1 wheels that still look pretty damn good. Exalith 2 is an updated treatment that’s meant to be tougher. I’ve certainly never had any issues since I bought them in 2013 apart from the tiny stone chip marks I mentioned above.

Exalith is nothing like the ‘black paint’ you get on Archetype rims and will last thousands of miles.

Have you got any pics of the Fulcrum rims?

Exalith is a darkish grey btw.
  • on-yer-bike
    They are supposed to stay black.
    The finish on H+Son is cosmetic for those using disc brakes and wears off during first ride using caliper brakes.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • rc856
    I can't seem to find anything official about them staying black but hopefully that's the case and they'll be replaced and I'll have more luck with another pair.
    Bike is in the shop on a different matter but I'll put up a pic in a couple of days.
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    After buying regular Shamals (which I haven't ridden yet) last year only for the Mille to be released the following month I'm feeling a little better about my purchase after reading this thread.

I also understood they were supposed to stay black but when you think about the way they are made (and brake blocks impregnated with grit) its unlikely they will.