Tiagra 4600 12/30 10 speed What to upgrade to

ChattyBoxes
ChattyBoxes Posts: 9
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Hello I am running my TREK Domane 2.1 with a 12/30 rear cassette on compact chain set. I want to upgrade to make it easier to get up bigger hills such as the cols in the Alps, (please don't just say get fitter).
What are my options do you think?

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    30T is usually the lowest your going to find in most setups, and should be ok for the Alps as they are usually quite gentle gradients, unlike the sharp climbs we have in the UK.

I usually run 12-30 on my bike, which used to be a Trek Madone 2.1 before I upgraded the frame etc, and I found even 11-28 was ok in Mallorca, I was shattered but it wasn't because I was overgeared.

As for options you can get 32T if you go to 11 speed but that's quite an expensive option as you may well need to change your wheels as well as the groupset itself.

There are some options re getting MTB chainsets on with a replacement rear mech.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    You don't really say what you fitness is like, some on here would see a 34x30 being more than enough for Col hunting. A lot of the climbs over there aren't too steep, it's the fact that they are 10-15 miles long that's the problem.

Options are:
    1) Get fitter.
    2) Change to a 32 cassette.
    3) Change from compact to triple.

Even with options 2 and 3, 1 is going to be the biggest help.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    edited March 2015
    What's your inner chainring? If it's a 36 you could conceivably buy an aftermarket 33t chainring. 33t is as small as you can get for your compact (110 BCD) crankset.

At the other end you could try to find a cassette with a 32t sprocket and see if you can faff with the B screw to make your rear mech work with it. You might have to resort to a medium cage rear mech though.

Expensive option is to switch to a triple then you can have a 30t chainring to go with your big sprockets. Expensive because you need new LH shifter, crankset and front mech.

Have you read the sticky at the top of the road beginners forum? Help I need more gears...
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    You can get a 10 speed cassette with a 32 bottom gear if you opt for a MTB type cassette such as the Shimano SLX HG81-10 available in an 11-32 spread

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... lsrc=aw.ds

This will be compatible with your STI's but I fear you will have to change the rear derailleur to a medium cage (if you're already running a short cage) and may also need to use a longer chain.

I used the above cassette on a build for my grandson with Ultegra flat bar shifters, a medium cage RD and a CX (46/36) chainset.

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12991733&p=19152230#p19152230

All worked well together so you should have no problems
  • With might buy a new bike! Cheers for your help folks
    D
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    as above 34x30 is fine for riding up cols