Janice Atkinson... Ting Tong all over again

debeli
debeli Posts: 583
edited March 2015 in The cake stop
I awoke this morning to more fun and frivolity about Janice Atkinson.

These ex-Tory, slightly BNP Ukippers are the gift that keeps on giving when it comes to gauche, unpleasant and (perhaps) criminal behaviour.

Extraordinarily, this woman was a Tory candidate in 2010. I am of the left, but I have enough regard for the Tories to be surprised they selected her, even in a long-standing Labour seat.

But anyway... not to waffle on.... here's the story:

The last time she was in the news it was about her referring to a Thai woman as a 'ting-tong from somewhere'. This was widely reported as an offensive Thai expression for an idiot.

It struck me at the time and still seems more likely that the phrase was used with reference to the mail-order bride in Little Britain. Was she not known as Ting Tong. It seems a grubby and pejorative expression for someone one believes to be a mail-order bride from East Asia.

I may be wrong, but that seems much more likely than that Janice Atkinson should be familiar with the Thai vernacular for someone with learning difficulties.

Carry on....

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Party that benefits from mainstream parties being stung with a bunch of expenses scandals have one of their own from one of the few members who is actually a member of some kind of parliament.

*shrugs*. Standard.