Canyon Spectral AL 8.0 - or something else?

mickus
mickus Posts: 199
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Morning all,

With around £2500 to spend on a new toy I'm looking at the Canyon Spectral AL 8.0.

I currently have a 2011 Nerve XC and like the ride. I'd like a little more travel as I can be a heavy rider. So my thought is to stay with Canyon, as the Nerve has been great, and up the travel.

Most of my riding revolves around trail centres in South Wales but I have been riding enduro races and would say that I'd like to suit the bike around that style.

I'd happily hear people's thoughts on the Spectral and what people would consider instead. Should I be seriously considering another brand?

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• mickus
    mickus Posts: 199
    Thanks oxoman,

I'm more than happy to hear people's preferences as that's what will make me specifically look at other bikes. Sheffield is a bit too much of a trek to test bikes, thanks for the info though!

I have a decent sized Giant store down this way so will give them a look in. I've not been a fan of Giant in the past but I keep hearing more and more god things about them lately so will see what they've got!

Any other suggestions in the £2.5k ball park are welcome. 140mm travel ideally!

Cheers!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Canyon are ok for shorter travel but I found longer travel really shows up the linear, wallowy suspension.
    I would look at the Giant Trance or Rose Granite Chief.
  • tobamory
    tobamory Posts: 101
    Interest free credit and get a Santa Cruz solo (5010) upgrade the forks to 140mm. Think they start at about 3k

It's what I did bikes awsome

Or what Rock said... Trance 1 would be my choice...if not Santa Cruz. Could always look at the Santa Cruz Bantam also. Think that's 140mm too solos little brother.