Cassette/freehub compatability problem

fleshtuxedo
fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Working on someone else's bike and trying to change the cassette. It's a shimano/sram drivetrain. The splines on the freehub are unmistakably shimano pattern, but are stepped, so they are a bigger diameter for all but the outside two sprockets. This means the big cogs of a new 10 speed Shimano cassette won't slide down onto the freehub so I can't fit it. Wheel is old (2008ish?) fulcrum 3. Any ideas what freehub this is? The current cassette will need changing soon, so I need to know what the heck it is! Current cassette has no branding but locking is marked "made in Italy".

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Sounds like an old Shimano 10 speed only freehub, which I think means it will only take an old 10 speed Dura Ace cassette.

When they produced an alloy freehub they made the splines taller to stop the sprockets chewing into them, but they later went back to shallower 8/9/10/11 speed freehubs in steel or Ti
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Yeah a recent poster faced a similar problem to you with a freehub dating from around 2008/9

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13017330&p=19453750#p19453750

The slowtwitch link should confirm what you have.

Only real solution is either a DA cassette from that era or a new freehub body designed to take 8/9/10 speed
  • clogg
    clogg Posts: 70
    Mate had a set of Easton wheels with freehub like that. He also found that an ultegra 6700 cassette would fit but none of the other ones worked except dura ace.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Thanks for the responses, it does look like it's 10 speed only freehub. We did try a 105 cassette on it and that didn't fit, so it looks like we do indeed need an old DA cassette. Sounds like a new freehub, or indeed new wheels.

Cheers for the advice