Weightloss And Trail Riding

Ricksflynn
Ricksflynn Posts: 20
edited March 2015 in Health, fitness & training
Hi all, I'm a virtual newbie to this forum (well, posting anyway).

I started a weight loss regime when we started back at work in the New Year. Having gone to about 22 1/2stone. I'm naturally broad. Regular commutes to work and visits to the gym. I have lost a total of 2st 10lb!! (So far) with an aim to lose another 1 1/2 to 2 stone.

I have just treated myself and purchased a On One Inbred, this will hopefully get me back on the trails and enjoying the stuff I loved as a kid. It was a choice between biking and rugby and I chose the later. Now I've retired at the age of 33 I have the time to enjoy it again. I've moved from the road commute to an off road route to work. I thought I was fit but there's plenty more hard work required until I can join a bike club, I dont want to be a burden for the other members of the team.

Just goes to show that hard work and enjoyment help massively with weight loss!

Thanks Rick

Comments

• WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Well done that's a good effort and I'm sure it's not easy. I wouldn't put off joining a club, a decent one with social rides should have groups split to allow for fast riders and slow riders, it might help with keeping you motivated.
  • Thanks Windy! It was a lifestyle change. Healthy eating (sometimes) but definitely the exercise has made a massive difference and I want this to continue.

Yeah I really want to join a club, but having taken this off road route, its predominantly downhill to work which is great and I can pick my lines on the tracks etc. Its the up hill section on the way back where I'm extremely slow. I know that the more I do it the easier it will become. Maybe I'll try a club in a month or so when I've got the core fitness up a bit more.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Good for you Ricksflynn, the more you ride the easier it will get...honest. WindyG hits the nail on the head regarding a decent club with social rides.

Have you tried the Myfitnesspal app, i find it a great way of tracking calories in vs calories out helping keep the weight down.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Good work, riding off road takes more effort than on road as the trails are rougher and tend to have more grip. Just contact a club and see what they say to find one that suits you. Google maps satelite view is good for finding good local trails as are OS maps or similar. Trail parks and forestry area's can be good as well.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Good man. As others have said you've made a great start and the more you do the more weight will come off and the faster you'll go (it never gets easier - just faster, as some drug cheat once said).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Thanks all! The plan is to keep pushing! Hopefully it will get faster (not easier).

I have touched base with the local club, so I can move on from there. We have some great trails around here so I plan to get out and practice.

Hey BigMitch, yeah I use MyFitnessPal and tie that in with RunKeeper to track my rides and mileage. I have slipped a bit with inputting everyday like I was but I aim to get back to it.