Rockshox Recon 335 Solo Air forks - not working properly.

SMoJ-2015
SMoJ-2015 Posts: 4
edited March 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Does anyone have any advice?

My Recon 335 Solo Air forks stopped working at the end of the summer last year. Whilst I was riding on a trail they suddenly stopped absorbing shocks (almost as if they had no air pressure in them). The slightest drop off or rock would use the entire travel (with no resistance to absorb the shock), so I stopped riding to make sure I didn’t damage them. When I got back home the forks then decided to completely seize up (couldn’t move the suspension at all).

So I took the forks to go get serviced/repaired at my LBS and when I collected the bike the forks felt as good as new. Annoyingly though I was told the mechanic tried to order new seals for the forks but there was a 3-4 week wait. The forks felt fine, I was told the old seals were still intact and they obviously didn’t charge me for new seals.

I then used my bike on a trail a couple of months later and about 15mins into the ride the forks stopped working again. There was no resistance again (using the entire travel on the slightest bump). The air pressure in the forks was fine.

I’m debating whether to try and get them fixed again somewhere else? Or maybe look at buying some new forks?

I’ve got a 2008 Trek Fuel EX6.5 which I bought in 2009 (I only ride about 6 times a year).

Thanks for any help in advance!

2008 Trek Fuel EX 6.5
Frame Construction - TIG-welded
Frame Tubing Material - Alpha Red Aluminum
Fork Brand & Model - RockShox Recon 335 Solo Air, 130mm travel
Fork Material - Aluminum/magnesium, single crown
Rear Shock - Fox Float RP2, 120mm travel

Comments

• Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Sounds like the damper oil has dropped into the lowers causing hydrolock (the reason they seized/wouldn't compress), if that's the case you'll need the relevant damper service kit(Motion Control?), LBS has put the oil back where it's meant to be and reassembled using original o-rings (they wouldn't have been able to do anything else without the service kit).

Shop should have explained it was a temporary repair and would happen again unless you replaced the o-rings.

Option 1 Buy kit, do it yourself.
    Option 2 Get shop to order kit and give you call when they get it in.
    Option 3 Try a different shop.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Doesn't sound like that at all. As that locks it up, not let's if blow through the travel?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dirtydog11
    Doesn't sound like that at all. As that locks it up, not let's if blow through the travel?

Can only assume you didn't see this bit...
    When I got back home the forks then decided to completely seize up (couldn’t move the suspension at all).

Had this a couple of times on a set of Dart 3 s, replaced o rings, all is fine for a year or two until the o rings fail again, first indication is lack of damping until they get to the point where they completely lock out.
  • Thanks for the replies, I think you're spot on Dirtydog11.

I've had a look online but does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy the kit from? (O-rings etc)

I'm going to have a go doing it myself.

Cheers
  • Dirtydog11
    This is the kit you need, just remember to change one o ring at a time so as not to get them mixed up.

http://www.tftuned.com/rebarevpikerecon ... -kit/p1633

You'll also need some 5wt damper oil and some thicker 10wt for lower lube.

Oil levels/capacities for your particular fork will be available on the rockshox site.

Have a watch of this before you start...

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/tech-tuesday ... -2010.html

If your not confident take the fork and kit to your LBS and get them to do it, should take them about 1/2 hour.
  • Thanks for the advice and the links.

Will have a go and see how I get on, if I run into problems I will take it down to my LBS.

Hopefully they should charge me less if I provide the kit :)