Planet X Pro Carbon Sizing

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Been thinking about getting a new frame for a while, decided against it and put the new parts on my other frame (which is coming along nicely!).

But now Planet X has a 15% off everything sale so was thinking of getting the Pro Carbon frameset for about £250 and moving some parts I have lying around on to this to get another bike out of them for quite little money.

What is the sizing like? I think the XL will be too big but a little worried the L will be a bit small as it is described as compact geometry?

I am about 6'2 (maybe a shade under) which is borderline between the two.

i was thinking to get the L and a slightly longer stem.

Anyone else got one? does the sizing come up a bit small or am I worrying unduly?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• mikpem
    mikpem Posts: 139
    I'm 6' and have a L and I would say that I'm pretty much on the limit of that. At first it felt tiny with a lot of seat post showing but I'm getting used to it now. I would say that you should probably go for an XL, being that bit bigger than me might push it a bit far.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Bloody hell man, I had to talk myself out of that frame for £300. Might be a harder task at £250.
  • chris_bass
    Dinyull wrote:
    Bloody hell man, I had to talk myself out of that frame for £300. Might be a harder task at £250.

I know, i was the same, was very tempted but managed to resist at £300 but now probably going to go for it!
    mikpem wrote:
    I'm 6' and have a L and I would say that I'm pretty much on the limit of that. At first it felt tiny with a lot of seat post showing but I'm getting used to it now. I would say that you should probably go for an XL, being that bit bigger than me might push it a bit far.

Thanks, think i'll go for the XL in that case.
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Sorry to confuse the issue but I am 6'1'' and have an L and it fits me fine
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • chris_bass
    stu-bim wrote:

what length stem do you have on the frame?

I know it is more to do with arm/torso length and stuff but just for an idea
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I am 5'8" and have an L! I have a gorilla-like long body and short legs, but even so it suggests to me that L might be small for you.
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    Been thinking about getting a new frame for a while, decided against it and put the new parts on my other frame (which is coming along nicely!).

But now Planet X has a 15% off everything sale so was thinking of getting the Pro Carbon frameset for about £250 and moving some parts I have lying around on to this to get another bike out of them for quite little money.

What is the sizing like? I think the XL will be too big but a little worried the L will be a bit small as it is described as compact geometry?

I am about 6'2 (maybe a shade under) which is borderline between the two.

i was thinking to get the L and a slightly longer stem.

Anyone else got one? does the sizing come up a bit small or am I worrying unduly?

I'm around 6' and I have a size L with a 100mm stem.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    ignore wrong thread
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • chris_bass
    hmmmm, now i'm not sure.

The large seems to match the geometry of my Cube but that i'm probably on the upper edge of that and that isn't really 'compact'.

I have until Sunday to decide!
  • stu-bim
    Chris Bass wrote:
    stu-bim wrote:

what length stem do you have on the frame?

I know it is more to do with arm/torso length and stuff but just for an idea

110mm
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • chris_bass
    Think i'm going to go for the XL and a 100mm stem*

*this could all change
  • ba68
    ba68 Posts: 156
    I am dead on 6' and have a large with a 100mm stem, much depend on your leg length and how much of a saddle to bar drop you can manage, you can adjust your reach with a slightly longer or shorter stem. Cracking bike by the way, rode mine for the first time this year last week after the winter on my Kinesis 4s, which itself is a great frame, but straight away the PX just felt right.
  • ba68
    ba68 Posts: 156
    Chris Bass wrote:
    hmmmm, now i'm not sure.

The large seems to match the geometry of my Cube but that i'm probably on the upper edge of that and that isn't really 'compact'.

I have until Sunday to decide!

The main measurements to compare are the effective top tube, the stack and the reach. Both of the later can be adjusted (although the amount may be limited) by headset spacers and stem length respectively. Irrespective or whether it's a compact, sloping or horizontal frame if you compare these three measurements you should be able to find an equivalent frame, assuming of course your current setup is a good fit.
  • balb0wa
    balb0wa Posts: 32
    I went with XL ,im 6ft, pro carbon ultegra,(full ultegra) was a gamble, but i paid £799 , had a nice 20% code in February.

Ive changed the stem to a 90mm from a 110mm, had my first ride on it yesterday, very nice bike.

Ive changed the wheels, seat post and stem :)

7UKYwK.jpg
  • stu-bim
    Balb0wa wrote:
    Ive changed the wheels, seat post and stem :) ]

And put it in the bed
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • balb0wa
    balb0wa Posts: 32
    stu-bim wrote: