What wheelset to buy up to £150 (repost other post locked)

russboy
russboy Posts: 436
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I use my 2013 Fuji Granfondo for the commute work, only 3 miles each direction & I currently have Mavic Aksium wheels fitted.

Having problems with them which I thought I have solved by cleaning up the freehub, but alas that may not be the case. From nosing around the internet it appears they suffer badly with "bearing drag" so I think I may just bite the bullet & look for something new.

So they need to be compatible with a 10 speed Shimano cassette & ideally around £100 for the wheelset (I know that doesn't buy me much at all!) up to £150 as a max.

So what's available out there new?

Posting this up again as I did get a reply from dcurzon who kindly pointed me to:

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13019268

However even from Germany they seem to be £170+ when you use the current exchange rate.

Cheers,

Russ

Comments

• Nurse!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Ahh, this would explain why having ridden on Mavic Aksiums supposedly problem free for three years I am so damn slow!

For a while there I thought it was just me being useless.
  • RS 11's RS 21's RS 31's would probably fit your requirements at that budget. Good solid wheels and not too lardy.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Why not simply replace the bearings?? Simple DIY job or the LBS should be able to do it pretty quickly / cheaply.

Or are the rims worn out?

Or do you simply want to spend £150 on something new and shiny?
  • russboy
    keef66 wrote:
    Why not simply replace the bearings?? Simple DIY job or the LBS should be able to do it pretty quickly / cheaply.

Or are the rims worn out?

Or do you simply want to spend £150 on something new and shiny?

Could replace the bearings, not really sure how old the wheels are to be honest as I bought them 2nd hand on ebay. Ad said they hadn't covered many miles which I believed, everyone tells the truth on there right?

When I lose faith in something I tend to want to replace it rather then grin & bear it hence the whats available post.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    You dont say what the problem is?

If its just the bearings need replacing then you shouldnt lost faith in them because that is what they are designed to do - the wheel should outlast a set of bearings several times over - hence they are designed to be replaced...
  • russboy
    apreading wrote:
    You dont say what the problem is?

If its just the bearings need replacing then you shouldnt lost faith in them because that is what they are designed to do - the wheel should outlast a set of bearings several times over - hence they are designed to be replaced...

Basically I feels like when riding there is a constant drag, originally thought it was brake related, but it's not, been through a process of elimination & the only conclusion is that it must be the bearings as when freewheeling with tyres fully inflated etc on a very very slight downhill it feels like the bike is braking. I use the bike for my commute & you get to know every lump & bump on the road & when you need to peddle etc but it now seems like so much more work in comparison to before & it's come on quite suddenly.

I did strip the wheel down at the weekend & removed the freehub & the lugs(?) on springs within it & there was a few shards of metal in there which I removed & it does seem better now.

I suppose the easy option is just to replace the wheels, but of course it is the costly option as well.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If you dont want to replace the bearings yourself, you can still take to an LBS and pay them to do it - will still be alot cheaper than new wheels.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Top wheels those, and you coudl fit ceramic bearings if it makes you feel better. Much cheaper than buying a new set.

if you must, may I suggest a pair or Campag Shamals.
    Insert bike here:
  • russboy
    apreading wrote:
    If you dont want to replace the bearings yourself, you can still take to an LBS and pay them to do it - will still be alot cheaper than new wheels.

Oh I can do it, in fact I removed one of the easier ones on Saturday, I just wonder if it is worth it when not knowing the true age & mileage of the wheels. Although that said they are in pretty good condition & are straight & true.

Am I likely to need a press to bush out the other bearings? Also where is the best place to buy replacements?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    It was locked for a reason and the reason is that we have 1 million threads with the same topic, use this one, for instance.

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13019821
    left the forum March 2023
This discussion has been closed.