Solar eclipse - are you gong to be out?

hegyestomi
hegyestomi Posts: 504
edited March 2015 in Commuting chat
So tomorrow is the day of the end of the world when the sun will leave us for a couple hours.
I'm/was intended to commute but it means going in the shade for two and a bit hours while (as reported) drivers are going to be very distracted by this natural phenomena.
What are you going to do?

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    hegyestomi wrote:
    So tomorrow is the day of the end of the world when the sun will leave us for a couple hours.
    I'm/was intended to commute but it means going in the shade for two and a bit hours while (as reported) drivers are going to be very distracted by this natural phenomena.
    What are you going to do?

go to Bushy Park and take some photos!
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I'm going to turn my lights on, just like I do every other time it gets dark.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Unfortunately I'm not going to do what I did last time in 1999: drive the night before to a random field in Falmouth getting there at 0300, kipping in the car and experiencing it with about 10 other people who'd had the same idea evenly distributed about the field. It was a great experience. As it went dark, temperature dropped sharply, birds went haywire, the smooth dropping-off of the illumination level was almost tangible.

This time I'll go outside and probably be part of a gawping crowd in a City of London street.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    TGOTB wrote:
    I'm going to turn my lights on, just like I do every other time it gets dark.
    I'm always using lights, day or night anyway but I'm a bit worried by the "Look at the Sun mum!!" or "I'm going to take a picture of that now!" types: don't want to be SMIDSY again.
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    I always get my gong out to celebrate an eclipse!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Once again I'm going to be staring up at total cloud cover feeling cheated...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    ddraver wrote:
    Once again I'm going to be staring up at total cloud cover feeling cheated...
    Ditto. Got my camera out and ready, solar filter fitted....
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • scrumpydave
    scrumpydave Posts: 143
    Only light cloud cover in York. This is great so far!
    Riding the Etape du Tour for Beating Bowel Cancer - click to donate http://bit.ly/P9eBbM
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Very cloudy here, it's just like most winter afternoons at the moment. I don't think I'll bother moving from my desk. Disappointing.
  • Wunnunda
    Wunnunda Posts: 214
    Is there an eclipse? No-one told me... :)
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    Clouds provided a very nice filter when paired with my cycling glasses 8) I got a good view in Newcastle through the small gaps in the clouds.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    edited March 2015
    Good here in Fife. Sunny this morning but low cloud blowing across just in time for max eclipse - but it was that sort of thin cloud that gives a perfect filter for the sun, so we had a really good view. 94% round here, spectacular enough.
    We bunked class and stood around outside the school with hundreds of kids getting their first sight of an eclipse - both fun and intellectually stimulating, huge number of them wanting to talk science, which sure don't happen every day.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Very cloudy here, it's just like most winter afternoons at the moment. I don't think I'll bother moving from my desk. Disappointing.

amusing watching the confused dog walkers and birds! did get very cold not terribly dark, but clearly darker.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    The cloud thinned for a few minutes just as the moon took it's place dead centre. twas lovely it was.

One joyless colleague then remarked "You see the moon like that most nights. This is such a non event." and walked off. But he's the Quality Assurance Manager, being a tw@t comes naturally.
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Too much cloud cover for a good photo, so with a bit of editing:
    DSCF1683.jpg
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Peat wrote:
    The cloud thinned for a few minutes just as the moon took it's place dead centre. twas lovely it was.

One joyless colleague then remarked "You see the moon like that most nights. This is such a non event." and walked off. But he's the Quality Assurance Manager, being a tw@t comes naturally.
    I'm a Quality Manager.... :evil:
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • veronese68
    bompington wrote:
    We bunked class and stood around outside the school with hundreds of kids getting their first sight of an eclipse - both fun and intellectually stimulating, huge number of them wanting to talk science, which sure don't happen every day.
    Nice. My daughter was very upset last night that only the year 7 kids were allowed to watch. She probably won't be as upset now she knows you couldn't see anything around here.
  • Set up a pinhole camera on the window of my office and projected the eclipse onto a whiteboard.

65E76D19-8C82-4816-94DF-50F7C9FCCCFB_zpsptolvgpf.jpg
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    I used some sunbed glasses, combined with two pairs of polarised sunglasses at 90 degrees. Worked a treat. The clouds came over at 9:30 just enough to view it comfortably without any of that, though. Astounding actually.

Our cats were totally wigged out. Or hungry - difficult to tell.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Frankly a bit of a damp squib here in Bucks, was grey cloud all over so you couldn't see the sun anyway! of course, now it's passed, the sun's come out and it's lovely. Typical. Kids were saying they're going to live until 2090 when the next full eclipse is here. They will be 85.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    bompington wrote:
    Good here in Fife. Sunny this morning but low cloud blowing across just in time for max eclipse - but it was that sort of thin cloud that gives a perfect filter for the sun, so we had a really good view. 94% round here, spectacular enough.

Nice, we had a letter from the school stating that
    For safety reasons, however, we will not be taking students outside to observe the eclipse. Parents are asked to show their support by not allowing students to bring in eclipse viewers or any other device with which to observe the eclipse.

They were however going to view it on a live video feed, which as it turns out is the only way in Berkshire that you could witness it in any case owing to cloud cover
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    gbsahne wrote:
    bompington wrote:

Nice, we had a letter from the school stating that
    For safety reasons, however, we will not be taking students outside to observe the eclipse. Parents are asked to show their support by not allowing students to bring in eclipse viewers or any other device with which to observe the eclipse.

They were however going to view it on a live video feed, which as it turns out is the only way in Berkshire that you could witness it in any case owing to cloud cover
    Oh, rest assured that we had all the same stuff sent our way. I must have forgotten about it all in the excitement of the moment :twisted:
    Of course if anyone has their eyesight damaged I'm really screwed. If they can find me after I move jobs on Monday... :twisted: :twisted:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    SFA here in the City.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Yah boo sucks to all of you that saw something *sulks* ( :wink: )
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Had a convenient break in the cloud here, wasn't overly impressive, a little gloomy and a little chilly, but nothing like 1999 when we went to Oxford which was about as close as you could get in the UK and still actually see it...that was impressive!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    ddraver wrote:
    Yah boo sucks to all of you that saw something *sulks* ( :wink: )
    Glorious sunshine now, typical. :?
  • First.Aspect
    I dispair.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I dispair.
    :(
    Which school is that?!
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Watched it through some welding goggles in Bath (the city not the washing tub). It was really good.
  • First.Aspect
    dhope wrote:
    I dispair.
    :(
    Which school is that?!
    God knows but it encapsulates the amazing balancing act that the teaching profession manages to pull off - by being both mediocre and uninspiring, whilst at the same time talking down to everyone. Its quite an art.