Bike for 16 year old

timboellis
timboellis Posts: 223
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
My son will be 16 shortly so looking to get him a new bike, currently has a Bantu which is too small for him as now just over 6' looking to spend tops £850 .

Mainly used to school / road / up and down kerbs / forest track riding.

I am looking at a hard tail at that price.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    No suggestions other than at his age and height, any bike considered should be no different to one you would consider for yourself.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You need to be clearer on forest trail riding as that could mean anything!

Have a look at the Voodoo Bizango at Halfords, well under budget and a really well rated bike, the extra can pay for some better tyres and pedals which any bike at that sort of budget will need anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The Rookie wrote:
    You need to be clearer on forest trail riding as that could mean anything!

Have a look at the Voodoo Bizango at Halfords, well under budget and a really well rated bike, the extra can pay for some better tyres and pedals which any bike at that sort of budget will need anyway.

This is good advice, just make sure he has stopped growing !
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If its used for school then dont get anything too fancy or it may get nicked! I would get yourself down to a Decathlon if one near you, by far the best bang for buck. Alternatively the best Carrera or Voodoo from Halfords that you can buy.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I wouldn't be using a £800 bike for school, get a cheap hack....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.