Bike for a colleague - upto £400 on the C2W Scheme

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,870
edited March 2015 in Commuting chat
Evening all.

a colleague at work has expressed an interest in getting a bike for what will be (once he has moved) around a 2 mile ride to work - he also says he wants one to ride at weekends, and to lose some weight.

But not coming from a cycling background, it would seem he is thinking more commons, and towpaths, so not much in the way of road riding.

His main concern, and I'm not sure how relevant this is, is that he weights 21 stone.
So I am assuming either a mtb or a hybrid - erring towards front suspension, as a lot of the towpaths around here can be fairly well populated with roots - one reason aside from too many people, why I only use them for running these days.

I think it will need mounts for mudguards, so he can ride through all weathers (Though this makes a fixed fork bike more likely) and also the option of a rear rack, for a pannier or rack bag.

He originally said he only wanted to spend £200, but after pointing out that our work runs the C2W scheme, I am pretty sure I can get him more to around the £400 mark.
Alas I really can't see him going for a drop bar bike yet, so think it will have to be flats for the time being.

I have not started looking around yet, but just wondered if anyone had any suggestions, or had had to fulfill criteria similar to this at all?
I am assuming strong wheels are the pivotal requirement re, or am I a way off?

Cheers

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    I've got an earlier version of this and it's bveen fine:-

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/hoprider-520 ... 07666.html

I was the same weight as your mate, and I regularly do up to 30 miles at a time on it.

Had it about 4 years averaged around 1000 miles a year with no problems apart from wear and tear stuff.

More than happy with mine.

Andy
  • daniel_b
    Thankyou gents,

a couple of good suggestions there - Halfords are definitely on our C2W sheme here, but there is also a lbs that can take the vouchers as well.

A big fan of the BTwin bikes MBob, picked up a Triban 3 Red for my bro's gf last year and a hybrid not unlike the one you listed for a friend a few years back now, top bits of kit, just not really that known in this country.

Only downside will be the C2W scheme will not be possible with it, but if it's enough of a bargain not going to be an issue I guess.

I spotted this Parva thing on Halfords which doesn't look too shabby for the cash - on the current 'reduced' price anyway.
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/carrera-parva-limited-edition-mens-hybrid-bike-2015-grey
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    oxoman wrote:
    The problem with C2W is that they are supposed to charge the full retail price I believe, some places get round it by selling previous years models plus a C2W admin fee. Decathlon are good for C2W work vouchers or were last year.

That's good to know, Thankyou :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Decathlon take cyclescheme, do you have access to that?

I wouldn't have that Parva as it's screw on freewheel, much inferior wheel.

The Carrera Vulcan is pretty good and uses OK forks (hydraulic damping) as are the Voodoo Bantu and Hoodoo.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.