New Vuelta climb with Video

MartAstur
MartAstur Posts: 122
edited March 2015 in Pro race
Hi,
This year the Vuelta a España has a new summit finish in Asturias. Rather than use the L'Angliru or Lagos de Covadonga they have chosen the Ermita de Alba for the finish of Stage 16, a pretty much unknown climb the other side of the L'Angliru.
I rode it the other day, it's brutal but stunning! you can see my attempt to get up it on this video, Enjoy!
https://bikeasturias.wordpress.com/2015 ... spana-2015

M

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    That makes me feel knackered just watching the vid.

Spectacular - hope we get to see some Colombians doing this. The weather on my only trip to the region (sin bicicleta) wasn't quite so nice, but when the clouds did part it was fantastic. Not called the Costa Verde for nothing.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Road looks pretty sh!te. Will need a fair bit of work in some spots to make it rideable?
  • MartAstur
    Hi Mad_Malx, It was a bit of a killer climb. Be great to see some of the top Columbians in the Vuelta. I got really lucky with the weather it was 23 degrees that day. A few days earlier it was 8 degrees and raining.

Your right @Pokerface , not the greatest road surface especially as it had been covered in snow just a week earlier and gravel had been washed all over the road in the thaw. They will certainly have to clean it and repair a few parts. My back wheel was spinning on the toughest bits because of the gravel. On the wet bits it was a nightmare so hope it stays dry for the Vuelta, it would be a nightmare in the wet.

M
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Excellent vid thanks very much for posting it. Looking forward to the stage now.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Looks like a typical Vuelta climb. Prepare for a 5mph sprint over the last 200m! Thanks for sharing.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Excellent vid, legs are on fire just watching it.
  • MartAstur
    Thanks for your kind comments and glad you liked the vid, makes spending all the hours making it worth it :)
    Next month I hope to make it up the L'Angliru and will be sure to post another video :) I've also signed up for this sportive http://www.cicloturistacabrales.com which finishes on the same summit finish as Stage 15 of this years Vuelta, so will post that when I have it too :)

Cheers

Martin