Best value tax saving commuter scheme bikes?

N0bodyOfTheGoat
N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
edited March 2015 in Commuting chat
Curious what people think are the best value bikes in 2015 that can be bought on a standard £1k LOC without "deals" with shops to supplement the LOC, using any of the various schemes out there.

For strictly road?
For mostly off-road (presuming some use scheme to simply get a shiny bike that is rarely commuted on)?
Mix?
Anything that stands out significantly below 1k LOC?

I'm shocked how much prices have gone up since my last bike purchase just over 5 years ago, no doubt in part to inflation and bike shops wanting to increase profit margins as these cycle schemes became popular. The days of us all rushing out to get bargain Specialized Tricross Singlecross bikes at ~£300, like some of us did in 2008/9, seem long gone!

The off-road Voodoo Bizango 29er is raved about for £600, but at ~15Kg, even with slicks that is going to be an effort to get up ~10% hills for "Joe average" cyclists like me (as much I had several bikes and have used them most of my adult life, I have rarely done anything >10 miles each way).

The Boardman MX Comp is a bit lighter for £600 and has hydraulic brakes, the frame is nicely sculpted (work colleague has one), but I'm not convinced that Suntour NCX-D Lo Lite fork would cope with much off-road.

The Pinnacle Arkose Singlespeed/Two get you TRP Hylex brakes on a "drop bar crosser" for £800/£850 respectively, but I've yet to see a review of the 2015 triple butted frame versions (the 2014 double butted were rated as a bit flexy).
================
2020 Voodoo Marasa
2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
2016 Voodoo Wazoo

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    The GT Grade Alloy 105 strikes me as a pretty decent deal that is cyclescheme friendly:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/ ... e-ec070839

HyRd hydraulic disk brakes, 11 speed 105 gearing, full rack and mudguard compatibility, decent tyre clearance for winter tyres should you need them and a full Carbon fork (no alloy steerer like most in this sort of price range).

Of course, the looks aren't to everyone's tastes, and it might ride like a pig (I haven't tried it) but the reviews I have seen are decent enough.

If I didn't already have a bike very much like it I'd be very tempted.