scott CR1 PRO- widest tyre?

turbo1191
turbo1191 Posts: 501
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Hey folks. just got my CR1 PRO frame through today and getting it to the LBS to build. Just want to know what the widest tyre is that I can put on? i've got Michelin pro 4 service course on my other bike just now in 700 x 25, but folks say these won't fit (they do come up large). Whats tyre should i go for? :?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    edited March 2015
    I think it may depend on rim width.

I've just fitted 25mm Pro 4 SC onto RS10's and there's plenty of clearance on my CR1-SL. Prior to that it had 25mm GP 4 Seasons. With a wider rim you may have clearance issues.
  • turbo1191
    its a 21mm rim..
  • keef66
    turbo1191 wrote:
    its a 21mm rim..

Is that internal or external rim width? For comparison the RS10's are 20.8mm external / 15mm internal.
  • turbo1191
    im not sure. cant find specs anywhere. its the giant p-sl1 wheels from my defy. waiting on a set of c24's.
  • keef66
    turbo1191 wrote:
    im not sure. cant find specs anywhere. its the giant p-sl1 wheels from my defy. waiting on a set of c24's.

My guess is that's external width so essentially the same as the RS10's, so you should be OK with the 25mm Pro 4 SC. Looks like the C24's are the same.

Have you actually parted with the CR1 yet? If not, for the avoidance of doubt can you try one of your existing tyres on the giant rear wheel in the CR1 frame?

(I should warn you that I've not actually checked the pressures in my Pro 4 SC tyres yet; I fitted them in the kitchen and inflated using a mini pump. Now the bike's built up I should check them with the track pump before a test ride.)
  • donboogie
    donboogie Posts: 75
    I tried to fit 25mm Conty GP 4000s with HED Belgium rims (not the +), and the tire was rubbing on one side at the back. I had to switch back to using the same tires with Fulcrum Racing 3s, and they worked fine.
  • turbo1191
    Its not going into the lbs until sunday, i'll try and get a wheel on the back tomorrow. CR1 frame is still in the packaging..the pro 4's are actually measuring up about 27mm when there on the giant rim, so i'm doubting they will fit on the CR1. I'm thinking if I want to run a 25mm tyre its going to have to be one that's fairly true to its size..
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Michelin pro4 25mm won't fit on mine. I've used 25mm from other manufacturers (Giant/Continental/Schwalbe). There's not masses of clearance but they work fine.
  • turbo1191
    yeh I heard conti's might fit.. don't want any frame rub at all..
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Rear: Michelin pro 4 in 25 measured 27 for me and didn't fit. Conti gp4000s in 25 didn't fit either, never measured them but I'd say they were slightly narrower than the michelin. Michelin rubbed whatever I did, where as the conti's were very very close.

Front: everything is fine.

So I run a 23 rear 25 front
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Panaracer Race Type A EVO 2 25mm tyres measure up accurately.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -13-47409/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    How about a 23mm that comes up wide?

I don't want to moan too much about trying to shoehorn 25mm tyres on a frame with 'Pro' in its name that seems to/sounds like it has not been designed to take them, but why is the diameter more important than actual qualities of the tyre?

What qualities is it in the 25mm that you are after?
    Are you sure that you cannot get those qualities in a 23mm?
    How about tubeless/tubeular?
  • karldh
    karldh Posts: 34
    Have had 25mm gp4000s on kysirium elite wheel on rear of my CR1 elite for last two years, tight but no problems if that helps
    kdh
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    When I fitted the rear with Conti GP4S 25mm on Velocity A23 rims, I needed to re-dish the wheel to stop the tyre touching. Very tight, but after some fiddling, I got it to not touch.
  • turbo1191
    cheers for all the replies folks. @carbonator.. a 23mm tyre that comes up large would do. I had 23mm tyres on the bike when I got it and when I changed to 25mm the ride quality improved.. It was possible that the pro 3's that were 23mm came up large and my 25mm pro 4's are also coming up large.. so its possible I could just revert back to 23mm pro 4's. Or as karldh says- go for conti 25's..
  • keef66
    Well I topped up the 25mm Pro 4 SC's to 70psi front / 80psi rear and there's still adequate clearance. Not massive, but adequate. Think I'll wait till the weekend for the inaugural spring ride though; don't want to be doing any on the road fettling in the dark.
  • keef66
    keef66 wrote:
    Well I topped up the 25mm Pro 4 SC's to 70psi front / 80psi rear and there's still adequate clearance. Not massive, but adequate. Think I'll wait till the weekend for the inaugural spring ride though; don't want to be doing any on the road fettling in the dark.

Apologies for dredging up an old thread, but I found it after Googling, and was amused to find my own postings.

Had the rear wheel out yesterday to sort out the cassette and noticed some alarming gouges on the inside of both chainstays.

I'm thinking the 25mm Pro4 SC is actually too wide to be safe especially now they are resurfacing many of the roads round here. Going to temporarily swap in the 25mm GP4Seasons from the winter bike, then order a 23mm Pro4 SC. Can anyone confirm the actual width of a 23mm Pro4 SC on a conventional Shimano rim?