Chain catcher - Deda Dog Fang

mrb123
mrb123 Posts: 4,790
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Apologies if this subject has been covered before...

I'm in the process of building up a new bike based around a carbon frame.

I am wondering what people's views are on chain catchers generally and in particular the Deda Dog Fang which seems a fairly cheap and simple option.

I can't say that I've had a problem with the chain coming off on my current bike, but I'm wondering whether for a few quid this might be a good preventative measure for the new bike, or whether I'm looking at a solution for a problem that doesn't exist!

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    I have one on my bike, it will only fit if your frame has a round seat tube, for the cost I think you may as well fit one, you may never need it, however if you do experience an unexpected overshift you'll be glad of it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I had one, but I removed it. It is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, because

1) If it happens something is not quite right

2) If it happens you can put the chain back on the ring with one finger (and I mean it). Pick a leaf or a bit of grass from the side of the road if you don't want to make your finger dirty
    left the forum March 2023
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I use a K-Edge catcher which mounts with the braze-on front mech.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Saves a chewed up bottom bracket/chain stay area should the chain drop.

Personally I like the K-edge one which simply bolts onto the FD.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Deda works great and is cheap as chips but is limited to round tubes, etc. I have one fitted on a couple of bikes after one would occasionally ship, and despite what some folks say, was setup correctly. On a more modern bike I have a Token protector fitted which is good value but took a bit of fiddling. Does it work? Don't know because I have never had the chain wrapped around the bottom bracket :)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Scott obviously think it's a sensible precaution; my CR1-SL came with one in the box. And after owning my first proper road bike, a Racelight Tk, for a month I noticed Epic had fitted one.

In the past I've had to remove chainsets and / or destroy chains with a cold chisel when they've got jammed in the gap between BB shell and axle. Usually the kids' bikes, not mine!

Not so much a problem with today's snug chainsets / BB's, and if it's not jammed twixt inner chainring and front mech, Ugo's single finger approach may suffice.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I use a Deda Dog Fang on my touring bike which has wide range 46-39-24 rings. It is easy to fit as long as you have a round seat tube and works well. Cheap and effective at preventing the occasional chain drop-off on the big change from 39 to 24 rings.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    edited March 2015
    The Dog Fang isn't just limited to round seat tubes. It also won't a fit a lot of carbon frames, even if they have a round seat tube. The reason is, on full carbon frames, the seat tube flares-out to join the BB shell too early. So you can't place the Dog Fang low enough to be effective. This was the case with my Cayo Evo.
  • mrb123
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

The frame in question is a Genesis Zero. I don't suppose anyone has tried to fit one to one of those? The seat tube does seem to flare out a little above the bottom bracket but only right at the bottom.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    MrB123 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

The frame in question is a Genesis Zero. I don't suppose anyone has tried to fit one to one of those? The seat tube does seem to flare out a little above the bottom bracket but only right at the bottom.

I know on my CR1 I can't get it low enough to suit the 30t chainring on a triple chainset. It's OK for a 36 inner on a CX chainset.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Good bit of gear if it will fit - it weighs almost nothing and costs almost nothing.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Good bit of gear if it will fit - it weighs almost nothing and costs almost nothing.

... and does almost nothing
    left the forum March 2023
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto wrote:

... and does almost nothing

touché :lol:
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    I've used one for a few years. I did have the chain drop off the inner ring last year and it saved the frame area from being chewed up and the paint. Well worth it IMO.

You pays your money.....as always.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • mercia_man
    Just had a look at pictures of those Genesis frames and it's clear the seat tube does flare out just above the bottom bracket. I don't think a Dog Fang would fit. It needs to be positioned so that the fang bit is just below the points of the teeth on small ring - that is pretty low on the seat tube. I think a K Edge or similar chain catcher would be more suitable, although they are more expensive.
  • mrb123
    I think the way forward is going to be to wait until I've got the groupset fitted and then it should be clear exactly where the Dog Fang would be fitted so should be apparent if one is likely to fit.

The K-Edge ones look pretty expensive for the model compatible with band-on front derailleurs. The Canyon design could be a solution if the Dog Fang won't fit.

Or maybe I should just live dangerously and not bother!
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I'm asking this out of genuine curiosity rather than to argue or be contrary….

Why would you need one if your limit screws and chain length/tension are correctly set?
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • mercia_man
    jordan_217 wrote:

Why would you need one if your limit screws and chain length/tension are correctly set?

In a perfect world, you would not need one. But I have found there are certain combinations of bikes and gears that are problematical. For example, my touring bike. Using a 46/36/26 or 24, it's fine. Switching to a different chainset of 48 or 46/39/24 meant I was having occasional chain drop-off from middle to little ring. The only way I could prevent it was by having front mech cage rubbing slightly on chain when in bottom gear. I was annoyed by the noise, fitted a cheap Dog Fang and problem solved.

I personally don't have one on my carbon road bikes with double compact chainsets but I can understand why people might want to avoid damaging their fancy frames with their chain. Even the pros can suffer from chains falling off - isn't that what happend to Andy Schleck when Contador rode away from him at the top of the Port deBales in the TDF a few years ago? Even with a perfectly adjusted front mech, the unexpected can happen - such as hitting a bump when changing gear.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Mercia Man wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

In a perfect world, you would not need one. But I have found there are certain combinations of bikes and gears that are problematical. For example, my touring bike. Using a 46/36/26 or 24, it's fine. Switching to a different chainset of 48 or 46/39/24 meant I was having occasional chain drop-off from middle to little ring. The only way I could prevent it was by having front mech cage rubbing slightly on chain when in bottom gear. I was annoyed by the noise, fitted a cheap Dog Fang and problem solved.

I personally don't have one on my carbon road bikes with double compact chainsets but I can understand why people might want to avoid damaging their fancy frames with their chain. Even the pros can suffer from chains falling off - isn't that what happend to Andy Schleck when Contador rode away from him at the top of the Port deBales in the TDF a few years ago? Even with a perfectly adjusted front mech, the unexpected can happen - such as hitting a bump when changing gear.

Ok, makes sense, particularly WRT triple chain sets. Thanks for the response.

Bertie probably had a steak the night before...
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Giraffoto
    edited March 2015
    MrB123 wrote:
    . . .The K-Edge ones look pretty expensive for the model compatible with band-on front derailleurs. . .

An alternative - if you haven't bough the groupset yet - is to get one with a direct mount front derailleur, and attach that and the K-Edge device to a separate band adaptor, which is relatively cheap.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    I have one of the Token chain catchers on my TT bike- I think I've only dropped the chain once and that was when I was originally setting it up, but installed the catcher after the advise of our coach at uni with regards to lumpy courses.
    No matter how well set up you think the front mech may be, in the heat of the moment when you're steaming onto/ up a hill its fairly likely that you'll ship the chain at some point and a catcher will probably save you and your ride. I don't know if its ever been needed as it's not since dropped a chain.

I don't have one on my regular bike (which is also used for bunch racing) and its unlikely I'll put one on its replacement frame either- however I will be installing one on any carbon frames (or nice paint jobs) to save the frame from being chewed.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    SRAM fd's from Rival up come with them now.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    As an alternative to the K-Edge one, Superstar do a cheaper version - about half the price.