To buy: new wheels (Dura Ace 9000) or whole new setup?

ashburton1
ashburton1 Posts: 17
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Due to some recent fortune I have the luxury of that most taxing decision...what to spend it on.

I have a Cannondale Caad 8 with full 105. It's the 2013 model so is a little dated, and a bit knackered, but still runs really well. I've done long rides on it (100m+) and is great for reasonably taxing weekend rides. I also commute on it. I do not plan to compete or anything serious. I am fond of the way it looks and have put a bit of money into it (but not on the wheels - oops).

Should I:

a) Spend approx £800-£1,000 on a really good set of wheels. I am thinking of the Shimano Dura Ace 9000 C24, for example. I feel confident that this would completely transform the way the bike feels and handles for me and be a really solid investment. I want to feel an improvement in speed and agility. I would not necessarily need to commute using the new wheels. If I did this I could also update from 105 if I fancied it.

b) Spend a bit more on a fully built new bike, but probably compromise on wheels. I have been looking at Cervelos and really like the sound of a used RS. I'm also going to test an S2 to see if I am interested in searching for a used one of these, too. I am not wedded to upgrading to carbon if this is the option I take.

I have the budget for all of the above, but I do not necessarily want to blow all this at once. Money is a consideration.

Where is the money best spent? Is sticking good wheels on a relatively low-end (but really solid) frame a silly investment? Apologies if this, in itself, is a silly question.

Any assistance much appreciated.

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    £1000 on C24s? Off to the handbuilt wheels section please and read the comments on there from those who know. Used Cervelo's? That may not be great - search the threads re this topic
    M.Rushton
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    ^This, If I were going to spend that much on wheels, I'd go for a repairable handbuilt set on Dura Ace 9000 hubs if that is your choice.
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    you can get 9000 c24's for 599 at merlin just now.. :)
  • Which makes the wheel only option rather tempting price wise.

Any pearls from anyone else - do shout.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Even if I could justify spending £600 on a set of wheels, I'm not sure I'd want ones that would be difficult / expensive to repair in the event of a mishap or when the brake track wears out. For that money I'd be going the handbuilt route with some nice hubs, and rims and spokes that you can actually buy without having to sell a kidney..

At the bottom of the food chain I'm happy to spend £70 on a pair of R500's for the winter bike, knowing that if I look after the bearings and I'm lucky playing pothole roulette, they'll last me several years. And if I'm unlucky and completely trash one, it's not going to be too financially painful.

However, I'm a tight-fisted pessimist by trade.

If you're relatively wealthy and of the optimisic persuasion, go for the C24's!
  • Thanks very much Keef - that's helpful.

I guess I'm equally interested in what people think will impact my actual riding experience more - better wheels or stiffer/better frame?
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    keef66 wrote:
    Even if I could justify spending £600 on a set of wheels, I'm not sure I'd want ones that would be difficult / exp

At the bottom of the food chain I'm happy to spend £70 on a pair of R500's for the winter bike, knowing that if I look after the bearings and I'm lucky playing pothole roulette, they'll last me several years. And if I'm unlucky and completely trash one, it's not going to be too financially painful.

However, I'm a tight-fisted pessimist by trade.

If you're relatively wealthy and of the optimisic persuasion, go for the C24's!

Please get the R500 as well and don't even think about using the DA9000 for commuting.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Wheels first, bike later. Seems the obvious solution. I would look into more repairable options than DA wheels, though.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    C24s are not worth 600 pounds. They are overpriced for what you get. Good hubs but not exactly a stiff build which means the chances of them going out of true is real. Stiff wheels just feel better to ride. The weight is not 1400g either often they are heavier so there is not even the low weight to draw yoj in.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Fishboyz
    Fishboyz Posts: 152
    ordered some c24's off wiggle but tbh they look really naff and cheap imho so straight back in the box and returned. For alu rims mavic kyrium elites are as good as anything
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    The C24's are made of cheese. Don't bother.

Are your current rims worn out ? i would ride them until they are. Then upgrade.

You don't need to spend 1k to get a good set of wheels. Expensive new wheels will not make you faster (well maybe if your current set weigh 2.5kg :) ). Campagnolo Zonda's, Fulcrum Racing 3's, Shimano Ultegra 6800 to name a few. All get good reviews and would suit yours or anybodys needs perfectly well. Any of those will make a massive improvement compared to your stock o.e.m wheels and they all can be bought for under £300. Make sure to put some quality tyres on the new wheels otherwise they are gone to waste.

Another option to look at is the Superstar Pave 28 wheelset for £194.99. listed weight is 1533 gram a set. Reported weight is 1615g.

If you are really sensible you would invest in a set of spankin hubs like Hope,Dura Ace,Royce,Chris King,White Industries,Record - that you can use year after year.

or do what i would do and just buy a new bike :twisted:
  • Fishboyz
    Fishboyz Posts: 152
    Sell the bike, add a few quid and get a canyon....you'll get a very decent pair of wheels as standard and likely loose 1.5kg at least
  • Thanks very much for all the input - interesting as ever.

New bike is the fun option, that's for sure.

For context, the current wheels are the ultra-sexy R500s. I'm on my second set since I've owned the bike. They've seen some punishing times.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    I have a Caad8 2012 with Tiagra. All you need to vastly improve the ride is a set of Zondas which can be had for around £200. They have served me for 4000 miles so far with no issues at all and have been ridden all year through all sorts of conditions

I love my Caad but wouldnt even think about putting £600 wheels on a bike that is worth £1000 new.

My opinion - spend £200 on some zondas or equivilant which will transform the bike for this summer and then save hard for another year and relegate the Caad to winter duties and buy a Canyon (its what i did)
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    I have a set of C24 9000 which I bought last year and put on my CAAD10. I put approx. 3000 miles on them last year including a lot of climbing and descending in various weather conditions. At no point have they gone out of true, melted, exploded or done anything other than be rock solid reliable and the rim wear is very low. Mine did weigh more than 1400g. 1421g to be exact.

They don't look blingy like some other wheels which was a major selling factor for me and they are not Mavics or Fulcrum which is the brand most people seem to gravitate to.

The rims on them are thin and this is well publicised so mine are now summer rims. I wouldn't think of buying a set for a daily commute. Seems a waste and they are not an investment because they are a disposable item. When they break they will probably end up in the skip. My HED wheels are an investment and will probably outlive me.

Do they improve the feel of the bike? Yes but unless you are planning on doing lots of Alpine type climbing then it wont be a huge improvement over a more robust slightly heavier hand built wheelset.

P
  • Tjgoodhew wrote:
    I have a Caad8 2012 with Tiagra. All you need to vastly improve the ride is a set of Zondas which can be had for around £200. They have served me for 4000 miles so far with no issues at all and have been ridden all year through all sorts of conditions

I love my Caad but wouldnt even think about putting £600 wheels on a bike that is worth £1000 new.

My opinion - spend £200 on some zondas or equivilant which will transform the bike for this summer and then save hard for another year and relegate the Caad to winter duties and buy a Canyon (its what i did)

^^ What TJ said ^^