Campagmano 11S mash up issues

JonEdwards
JonEdwards Posts: 452
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Built myself a new best bike recently, and having read all the blurb that suggests that Campag & Shimano 11S cassettes are essentially interchangeable, I thought I'd give it a try (Ultegra cassettes being a LOT cheaper and a hair lighter than the equivalent Chorus).

Shifting is absolutely fine (fast, accurate, holds gear fine), but I'm having issues with noise. I can basically make it run quietly in the bottom 3 and top 2 gears, but it's annoyingly noisy in the middle spread. Tinkering with the indexing further just knocks the whole thing out.

Any thoughts/advice/experiences?

I'm running SR mechs, Ultegra 6800 11-25 cass, DA 9000 chain.

Cheers!

Jon

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Did you start indexing from the 5th sprocket? It is important that the alignment sprocket-derailleur cage is perfect in the middle of the cassette.
    Also, which chain are you using? I would use Shimano for a Shimano cassette
    left the forum March 2023
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Do you have the cable clamped on the correct side of the bolt at the rear mech? Sounds trivial but it makes a big difference, typically in the middle of the cassette.
  • JonEdwards
    JonEdwards Posts: 452
    edited March 2015
    Did you start indexing from the 5th sprocket?
    Nope. Never done it like that before (usually start from top and work down). Will have a play.

Chain as mentioned is a Shimano DA 9000 one.
    Do you have the cable clamped on the correct side of the bolt at the rear mech?

Yup.

Thanks
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Did you start indexing from the 5th sprocket? It is important that the alignment sprocket-derailleur cage is perfect in the middle of the cassette.

I never knew this either! Is it 5th from top or 5th from bottom?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310

It's the one in the middle... I mean the 6th one... always forget you lot are on 11 and not 9... :mrgreen:

It's the way Campagnolo recommends and it is the best way to minimise shifting error in mixed setups.
    left the forum March 2023
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807

It's the one in the middle... I mean the 6th one... always forget you lot are on 11 and not 9... :mrgreen:

It's the way Campagnolo recommends and it is the best way to minimise shifting error in mixed setups.

I don't have a mixed set-up (100% pure) but one of the bikes is giving out a bit too much noise from the rear ( :shock: ) so I might give this a try tonight.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221

Another benefit from using the fifth is that it should effectively give you a straight chainline from the large chainring - so the ring, the chain, the fifth sprocket and the pulleys should all be in the same plane. That way, you can use your eye from the rear and above to look for any misalignments (twisted cage etc). Looking down that plane, across the back of the sprocket and onto the pulleys, you can just about align the teeth and get the gear-change tuned in without even turning the cranks.