Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Oim Oirish and me hed hurts Wednesday tread...

pinnopinno Posts: 38,178
edited March 2015 in The bottom bracket
Dey do dat der don't dey - all dat drinking 'n' stoof.

Pure sunny the-day an' crisp the-day, does dat mean so'tiz sprin'? cat lookin' weemen on de way ter school. typical dat 'tis gran' weather an' de deck van censored 'ill 'av ter wait 'til after dark waaat wi' bein' gaff 'usban'.

Laters
S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

"This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."

Posts

  • ballysmateballysmate Posts: 13,699
    'Is there anybody here with any Irish in them? Is there any of the girls who’d like a little more Irish in them?' – Phil Lynott to the crowd on “Live and Dangerous”
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 22,301 Lives Here
    I refuse to celebrate Paddy's day. I was in an Irish pub in Brentford on said occasion nearly 30 years ago and people were going round asking rather forcibly to donate to the cause. Thankfully we were near the door and managed to beat a retreat before having out pockets emptied for us.
    Not much going on here, this is no bad thing. I might even clear all my unread emails. Nice ride in today and pub later so all is well with the world.
    Onwards and upwards...
  • FlâneurFlâneur Posts: 3,026
    Pina would like to be irish

    meetings galore, which means a day on the ipad avoiding questions people don't want the answer too

    Dinner later

    Ankle hurts after cycling last night, yes I have been reminded how stupid an idea that was by my house mate, mother, office team. It was a good ride though, cold, crisp, and a fair speed
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • ballysmateballysmate Posts: 13,699
    veronese68 wrote:
    I refuse to celebrate Paddy's day. I was in an Irish pub in Brentford on said occasion nearly 30 years ago and people were going round asking rather forcibly to donate to the cause. Thankfully we were near the door and managed to beat a retreat before having out pockets emptied for us.
    Not much going on here, this is no bad thing. I might even clear all my unread emails. Nice ride in today and pub later so all is well with the world.
    Onwards and upwards...

    Neither can I understand the desire to celebrate St Paddy. Bizarre that people around the world have latched onto this particular event. Most peculiar.
  • FlâneurFlâneur Posts: 3,026
    An excuse to drink, rather than just saying I want to drink
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • stu-bimstu-bim Posts: 406
    ballysmate wrote:
    Neither can I understand the desire to celebrate St Paddy. Bizarre that people around the world have latched onto this particular event. Most peculiar.

    Not really that hard to understand due twonreasons

    the amount of Irish emigration and settlement all ove the world

    Good excuse for a midweek drink up
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • ai_1ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    veronese68 wrote:
    I refuse to celebrate Paddy's day. I was in an Irish pub in Brentford on said occasion nearly 30 years ago and people were going round asking rather forcibly to donate to the cause. Thankfully we were near the door and managed to beat a retreat before having out pockets emptied for us.
    Not much going on here, this is no bad thing. I might even clear all my unread emails. Nice ride in today and pub later so all is well with the world.
    Onwards and upwards...
    Paddy's day and "the cause" are not related except in so far as they claim to represent "Ireland". They don't, and in my experience never did represent a significant proportion of the population outside Ulster.
    I'm not saying you should celebrate Paddy's day. After all I don't generally celebrate the national holidays of other countries. Just saying there's no reason to drag that bunch into it. I still have a good time at christmas, despite being an atheist and disliking a lot of the fundraising and merchandising that goes on at that time of year.
  • team47bteam47b Posts: 6,424
    An' 'ere wus me tinkin dat oi 'ad naw rayle excuse for a draink the-day, luk av de Oirish!

    T'anks for de reminder Oirish Mr P :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 22,301 Lives Here
    ai_1 wrote:
    Paddy's day and "the cause" are not related except in so far as they claim to represent "Ireland". They don't, and in my experience never did represent a significant proportion of the population outside Ulster.
    Oh yes, I completely agree. They could have just been some thugs bolstering the coffers for their night of drinking using that as an excuse. That just put me off the idea in the years when I would go out drinking for any excuse. Nowadays if I want a drink I go for a drink, don't bother with the need for an excuse. Except for Wednesdays naturally.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 38,178
    team47b wrote:
    An' 'ere wus me tinkin dat oi 'ad naw rayle excuse for a draink the-day, luk av de Oirish!

    T'anks for de reminder Oirish Mr P :D

    Yer are pure failte sir an' top av de mornin' ter yer. oi didn't expect an shenanagans in de cake stop style aboyt st patrick's day but dare yer go, de 'eathens are everywhere.
    S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
    W - Wiggle Honda

    "This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."
  • pinnopinno Posts: 38,178
    veronese68 wrote:
    I refuse to celebrate Paddy's day. I was in an Irish pub in Brentford on said occasion nearly 30 years ago and people were going round asking rather forcibly to donate to the cause. Thankfully we were near the door and managed to beat a retreat before having out pockets emptied for us.
    Not much going on here, this is no bad thing. I might even clear all my unread emails. Nice ride in today and pub later so all is well with the world.
    Onwards and upwards...

    Once yer git oyt av dat ghastly place belfast an' into de sticks or into eire, yer 'ill never meet a more friendly an' welcomin' bunch av people. i can tell yer story's aboyt belfast dat wud make yisser buff crawl. scon are so glad dare is 24 miles av water separatin' us.
    S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
    W - Wiggle Honda

    "This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."
  • ai_1ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    team47b wrote:
    An' 'ere wus me tinkin dat oi 'ad naw rayle excuse for a draink the-day, luk av de Oirish!

    T'anks for de reminder Oirish Mr P :D

    Yer are pure failte sir an' top av de mornin' ter yer. oi didn't expect an shenanagans in de cake stop style aboyt st patrick's day but dare yer go, de 'eathens are everywhere.
    Ah come on! If you're going to include "top av de mornin' ter yer" you've gone completely Hollywood and you may as well start calling it "Patty's day" while you're at it!
  • stu-bimstu-bim Posts: 406
    taken_pattys.jpg
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • ai_1ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    stu-bim wrote:
    taken_pattys.jpg
    Emmm, this is getting worryingly close to heading back towards "the cause" again!

    But yeah, the whole Patty's day thing is very irritating.

    I'm not sure if it's the result of someone simply getting the abbreviation wrong and it catching on in the US or if, as I fear is the case, it's the result of misguided political correctness. Supposedly there have been people (not Irish people - just to be clear!) saying the term "Paddy's Day" is offensive. I agree that calling all Irish people Paddys (or Micks) is somewhat offensive. But the word Paddy itself is not offensive, it's just a popular variation of the name Patrick.
    Patty is not..... It's a flat cake of food or a female name.
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 39,487
    veronese68 wrote:
    I refuse to celebrate Paddy's day. I was in an Irish pub in Brentford on said occasion nearly 30 years ago and people were going round asking rather forcibly to donate to the cause. Thankfully we were near the door and managed to beat a retreat before having out pockets emptied for us.
    Not much going on here, this is no bad thing. I might even clear all my unread emails. Nice ride in today and pub later so all is well with the world.
    Onwards and upwards...
    Happened to me as well - although I was in Kilburn at the time...

    Busy day, in the office at 7.45 and not yet gone. New minion's minion started today so some induction stuff to do as well as the usual censored . Overseas head office even more clueless than ever but at least we can laugh at them :) Think I've had enough now...
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 18,055
    Work meh day is now over and I'm waiting for the rug rats to finish theatre club so I can get home and have some food!

    Later is probably some work as the wife is out
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 39,487
    matthew h wrote:
    Later is probably posting on Bikeradar and surfing the net for naughty pics the wife is out
    FTFY
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 18,055
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    Later is probably posting on Bikeradar and surfing the net for naughty pics the wife is out
    FTFY

    :)

    Don't need to surf for pics, mrs666 sends me lots
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 39,487
    matthew h wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    Later is probably posting on Bikeradar and surfing the net for naughty pics the wife is out
    FTFY

    :)

    Don't need to surf for pics, mrs666 sends me lots
    Clearly a lie, as it would be impossible to post on here if you'd been turned to stone :P
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 39,487
    How's the babysitting going matt?

    1391458_811560085547555_2866116576777783083_n.png?oh=0f85865cebf51fdbc5410bd506f427c4&oe=55705D3E&__gda__=1433551707_cbb20092b7731107b1e52073c526c373
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 18,055
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    How's the babysitting going matt?

    1391458_811560085547555_2866116576777783083_n.png?oh=0f85865cebf51fdbc5410bd506f427c4&oe=55705D3E&__gda__=1433551707_cbb20092b7731107b1e52073c526c373

    :)

    Nowhere near as classy as an mp in the chelski kit
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 39,487
    matthew h wrote:
    Nowhere near as classy as an mp in the chelski kit
    That's given me an idea. I could get Chelsea shirt with my name and number on it to downhilling in.
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • FlâneurFlâneur Posts: 3,026
    Thought you wanted people to come with you?
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 39,487
    sa0u823e wrote:
    Thought you wanted people to come with you?
    You just made me realise: apart from me, everyone on the forum who has been or is planning to go supports the same team. Seems there is some weird connection between Scouserpool and downhilling. Paging Manc33 to the thread...
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • stu-bimstu-bim Posts: 406
    ai_1 wrote:
    Supposedly there have been people (not Irish people - just to be clear!) saying the term "Paddy's Day" is offensive. I agree that calling all Irish people Paddys (or Micks) is somewhat offensive. But the word Paddy itself is not offensive, it's just a popular variation of the name Patrick.

    Irish people do refer to it as Paddy's Day so nothing wrong with that

    But I've never really been offended by being referred to as a Paddy, Mick, Tadgh or Tim tbh. Always thought it was just generalisation rather than offensive

    Work with a fair few english guys now who generally greet me with one of those
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • seanoconnseanoconn Posts: 5,607
    stu-bim wrote:
    ai_1 wrote:
    Supposedly there have been people (not Irish people - just to be clear!) saying the term "Paddy's Day" is offensive. I agree that calling all Irish people Paddys (or Micks) is somewhat offensive. But the word Paddy itself is not offensive, it's just a popular variation of the name Patrick.

    Irish people do refer to it as Paddy's Day so nothing wrong with that

    But I've never really been offended by being referred to as a Paddy, Mick, Tadgh or Tim tbh. Always thought it was just generalisation rather than offensive

    Work with a fair few english guys now who generally greet me with one of those
    Depends on the generation I suppose. Call my dad Paddy, Mick or greet him with a mock Irish accent and you'd wish you hadn't :lol: He's 75 this year and strong as a bloody Ox, I wouldn't mess with him.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • FlâneurFlâneur Posts: 3,026
    and i bet he still moves faster than you Seano
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • seanoconnseanoconn Posts: 5,607
    sa0u823e wrote:
    and i bet he still moves faster than you Seano
    No, he's only lived in 2 houses over the last 50 years :?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • stu-bimstu-bim Posts: 406
    seanoconn wrote:
    Depends on the generation I suppose. Call my dad Paddy, Mick or greet him with a mock Irish accent and you'd wish you hadn't :lol: He's 75 this year and strong as a bloody Ox, I wouldn't mess with him.

    As you said generational thing and very different life experiences. Leaving Ireland in 60's to 80's was not really a lifestyle choice and you were not especially welcome in England at the time.

    I left school just before Celtic Tiger so by 21 jobs were easy to find and when I moved to London in 1999 With an O'Neills on every corner
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • ai_1ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    As with most things it very much depends on context and past experience/history.
    We don't generally refer to ourselves as Paddys so when others do and intend it as a term of derision, it's offensive. In the past this was often the case. Probably less so now and therefore it's probably considered fairly neutral by those who haven't heard it used derisively. The same goes for most similar terms, like Australians calling the English pommys, or calling Americans yanks or the French frogs....

    Anyway, nothing wrong with "Paddy's Day", lots wrong with "Patty's Day" but it's a topic for the Daily show not the courts.
Sign In or Register to comment.