Another Alternative to Garmin

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited March 2015 in Commuting chat
Lezyne's GPS - don't know how long it has been around for. They're apparently going to have a navigation version too. Anybody know much about it?

http://www.lezyne.com/product-gps-super ... QkWdBikqK1
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• Why, oh why did they feel the need to write "Super GPS" on it? It looks cheap and tacky - which is obviously not what they're going for.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I actually really like the top-end unit. For £160, looks a bargain. According to the bikeradar article, there are 3 units available.

Edit

Actually, there's no mapping. :|
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited March 2015
    Surely it would follow a breadcrumb trail.......?

Having multiple bikes in our household, and two 205's and a 500, we have several mounts (The 205's has a new style mount adapter added to make it work eith the new out front style mounts) so to make me swiitch to this it would need to not oly be something special, but I would then need to invest in probably 6+ out front mounts, which would be an extra £60 at least.

Lezyne seem to be a bit hit and miss with how good their products are, for example I picked up one of these for £45ish, and it's superb quality, pressure release button on the extra long tube means it is no longer a wrestling match to get the head off the valve - why more manufactuers do not add this on I have no idea - you can also screw it onto the valve as well should you wish.
    lezyne-cnc-dirt-floor-2012-med.jpg

EDIT: The BR article mentions it will support .fit files, so presumably/hopefully it will follow a breadcrumb trail created on gpsies etc etc, so maybe it will be workable - certainly looks like a nice device, have to see what UK prices are like when it actually emerges and how buggy or not they are.
    Will need a replacement for my 500 eventually, though fingers crossed it has almost been 100% reliable so far.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Nice find i look forward to your reviews :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Quite like the look of them, they're fairly cheap and the battery life looks very good, on the downside you can't get many fields on the display, and I don't see any mention of a temperature sensor or barometer.

Early days for the software I guess, be interesting to see how much effort they put into developing them.

What it might do is help push Garmin along a bit, with things like BT sensor support. A bit of competition here can only be a good thing.
  • Drew123
    Drew123 Posts: 61
    Alternatives and competition are good but tbh my Edge 500 is the best bit of kit I've bought. I've had it years, and it has been through sub zero temperatures, rain and mud, rattled to bits through pot holes and over 6,000 odd miles later it works well, day in, day out. Even the battery life seems as good as when I bought it. Can't think of any other consumer electronics product that I've bought that has lasted so well and been so reliable and still hasn't been massively superseded by newer products.

It has it's faults... Mainly in the software but I'm fairly undemanding in that regard and it does auto-sync to Strava as soon as it is plugged in.

It has been a real motivational tool, whether going for Strava segments, beating last year's mileage or pushing me to higher average speeds or longer rides.

By all means knock it, but what do most of us use?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    @drew123 - my advice is to look after the 500. My experience is that the newer Garmin products are those that people are least satisfied with. And, let's face it, the 500 is doing a pretty basic task.

I have an 800 which works most of the time but is also pretty basic in what it does. I bought the Edge 1000 a little less than a year ago and it was hopelessly unfinished so it went back. I bought another 3 weeks ago and it crashed at the beginning of the first ride.

There's plenty of people who are looking for a plausible Garmin alternative.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    I'm back over in the USA later this year I think i might buy one, i'm so sick to death of the garmin connect crap and for 99% of my riding i'm not using a map.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Drew123
    Drew123 Posts: 61
    Well, let me know if you find one.

In the meantime I'll take good care of my 500...
  • itboffin
    Hmm the website for uploading is very basic but works

http://www.lezyne.com/gpsroot/gps_dashboard.php