£800 Hardtail

ZootHornRollo
ZootHornRollo Posts: 85
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
HI,

I am pondering a new bike purchase and have had a quick look around.

Main use will be local woodland trails in the lothians as well as less frequent trips to Glentress.

Most of the LBS i've visited around here stock Trek and are almost all pointing me in the direction of the X-Caliber 9. Also Boardman Team 650b seems to be well respected.

I've been keeping an eye on Gumtree but not a lot of interest just now.

Just wondering what others think around this price.

Cheers

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Make use of the p1ss poor €€€ and take a punt on this. Can't see you finding a better spec for £100 under your budget...

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/radon-zr-race-29-6.0-237673
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you are confident there are some second hand bargains, often only a year or so old at around half retail price. If you fancy the risk buying many bikes in euro's gets a good deal at the moment.
  • Sharky999
    Sharky999 Posts: 103
    Have you tried Herbies bikes in Pumpherston, he's a Merida dealer and all round good bloke.
  • Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you but i can't seem to log in on my mobile?

Anyway... intrigued by the Radon bike... anyone know if theres a review for them anywhere? i can't find anything on them. Is the Reba a better option than the XC32?

I've been keeping an eye on gumtree and ebay but not seeing much in my area (seen a few far away that are not willing to post). I'm not in a desperate hurry so i can wait a bit.
  • Sharky999 wrote:
    Have you tried Herbies bikes in Pumpherston, he's a Merida dealer and all round good bloke.

Not heard of herbies but im on east side of edinburgh so would prefer somewhere closer if possible.

I'll hopefully get a chance to go down to BG in portobello next week. They were pushing ScottUSA last time i was in.
  • http://www.bike-discount.de/en/mountain ... 32/o-preis

bike-discount appear to have a fair number of bikes at that 1000EURO price point...

bit confusing as to what the differences are. I know there are 4 29ers and 1 27.5... whats the differences other than that? Are some better suited to certain riding styles?
  • Radon ZR Team 8.0 ordered.
  • bollocks! just realised its easter weekend... it'll take ages to arrive :x
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Radon ZR Team 8.0 ordered.

Good man! Keep us posted on what you think of service and bike when it comes
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • I will do.

...though i don't have mush to reference against only having owned one 'proper' MTB - an 07 Carrera Kraken
  • Bike still not dispatched yet.

Contact is slow from bike-discount... If you hear anything back next day you are lucky, normally two days after email.

Fair enough, it was easter weekend but it has still been 9 days since I placed the order and no dispatch notification.

How long does it normally take for a bike to be dispatched form other retailers?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Depends on it being in stock with the retailer or with the supplier. If the retailer has your exact bike in stock it will be faster. It can take a week or so to get to the retailer from the supplier if they don't.
  • Kajjal wrote:
    Depends on it being in stock with the retailer or with the supplier. If the retailer has your exact bike in stock it will be faster. It can take a week or so to get to the retailer from the supplier if they don't.

I got an Awaiting dispatch' email this morning so hopefully I'll see the bike in the early part of next week.

It said it was in stock when I ordered it.