SJ4000 Action Camera.

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 532
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
All

I've been thinking of trying one of these action camera's but don't want to spend a fortune on a GoPro. I've been reading about these Sj4000 camera's and just wondered if anyone has one or seen one?

I've also read about there being copies out there (??) so wondered what was the best make to get? I've seen them on various websites by SJCam, Novatech, Qumox.

Thanks for any help / comments.

Comments

• iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    We bought our son a SJ4000 for Xmas and to be fair I think it's brill for the money, a friend has a Drift at around 6 times the price and I don't see a lot in it, it defo isn't 6 times better.
  • ga-rat
    ga-rat Posts: 29
    https://youtu.be/pZb8n-SZcRE

I have one and it is brilliant. The link above is to a short video on my YouTube channel, there are a couple of other videos on my channel, these were filmed under really testing conditions, low sun shining through the trees.

There are some copies about so watch out. The attachments you get are again brilliant. I can't fault it for the price. The LCD screen on the rear is the icing on the cake.

We took ours to centre parcs, I attached it to a small flexible tripod and my 9 year old daughter was jumping around the pool with it. It got some excellent and unusual angles, well worth the money just for that holiday.

I see that there is a basic gopro available from halfords at £109… I think its because of this sj4000's popularity that gopro have released such a cheap model.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I have an SJ4000 and for the money they are very good but not quite as good as the latest GoPro's.
    Buy one from a trusted site like Novatech because there are plenty of copies out there, even the good sellers have been caught out but have sorted out the buyers later. You may also see SD28's around that people call copies but they are the same as SJ4000 just use different software.
  • wilkij1975
    wilkij1975 Posts: 532
    Thanks for the replies.

I was looking on Amazon and they had a few different 'brands' on there. I assume the sjcam one would be an original?
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    I bought one from 'blueskysea' on Amazon. Even though it came from Hong kong, it was with me within a week. I had got one with a separate charger and spare battery as this is more convenient and quicker to charge, rather than charging with battery in the camera. The charger didn't work but they sent me another very quickly. I also bought a chest strap separately which works well. Only thing you need to do is sandpaper the mounts as they are made of shiny plastic and slip if used as they come. Roughening the surfaces makes them grip well. I use the chest mount for mtb, and handlebar mounts that come with the camera for commuting. See techmoan website for settings on the camera as the instructions that come with it are not overly expansive. Picture is good quality. I've recorded plenty of boring ( to others!) footage already.
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    I bought one off here for £30 and it's great. Came with loads of different mounts and for the price takes excellent videos. Waterproof case is also very good, got some brilliant vids of my kids in the swimming pool on hols earlier this year.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive