Changing from Shimano to Campag

ilav84
ilav84 Posts: 124
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Any love for campag in here lads? I have my eye on a winter frame at the minute. I know a fella doing a good deal on campag athena and chorus groupsets. My plan would be to take my groupset off my good bike and put it on the winter bike and then put the new campag groupset on the bianchi. Keep the good bike all italian and lovely and stylish ! Is it just down to preference or is there any evidence that campag is better or worse than shimano.

Comments

• crvfr
    crvfr Posts: 23
    I have both and although cannot fault the Shimano (11-speed 105) I am hoping to change it to Campagnolo over the summer. I put Campagnolo on my Colnago on the theory that I should keep it all Italian, and the Shimano on my Lynskey. I find both equally good/easy to use, but the carbon Campagnolo cranks look rather special IMHO.
    Where are you hoping to get a good deal on the Athena/Chorus groupsets?
  • ilav84
    It's a local shop that I have been dealing with recently so he is going to give me a better price than what out there on the likes of ribble, wiggle etc. The chorus is a few 100 more expensive. Is Athena the equivalent of what ultegra would be? It looks lovely to be fair.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    ilav84 wrote:
    Any love for campag in here lads? I have my eye on a winter frame at the minute. I know a fella doing a good deal on campag athena and chorus groupsets. My plan would be to take my groupset off my good bike and put it on the winter bike and then put the new campag groupset on the bianchi. Keep the good bike all italian and lovely and stylish ! Is it just down to preference or is there any evidence that campag is better or worse than shimano.

I can just be as much about 'heart over head' than anything else. All higher end groupsets are good. So using your heart is just as good a reason.

For the head stuff:

Rear shifting on Campag (if you use Chorus levers) allows for multishifts in both directions.
    Front shifting on modern 11-speed Shimano is the best.
    Campag spares are more readily available in an emergency
    Athena bottom bracket is difficult to maintain without expensive tools.

Is it old stock Chorus you can get a deal on? Because the 2015 Chorus (4-arm spider crank) should improve front shifting to something akin to Shimano.

Heart stuff? it's Italian :)
  • g00se
    ilav84 wrote:
    It's a local shop that I have been dealing with recently so he is going to give me a better price than what out there on the likes of ribble, wiggle etc. The chorus is a few 100 more expensive. Is Athena the equivalent of what ultegra would be? It looks lovely to be fair.

I would say now, Athena is more akin to 105. They 'dumbed' it down a few years back so it's now the basic 11 speed option for Campag.

Chorus/Record/SuperRecord are very similar, only materials differ. Chorus is arguably between Ultegra and DA.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I really like the ergonomics of the Campagnolo levers/hoods and have the new 2015 Veloce shifters on my Kinesis. The shifting mechanism is different so check out you get on with it!

I'd agree that the alloy Athena groupset is comparable to 105. However, it is priced at Ultegra level...
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I have Chorus 11 speed from a few years ago on one bike and Ultegra 6800 11 speed on another. Not much difference in terms of performance with both providing very good shifting.

In terms of looks the Campag stuff wins easily, especially the old 5 arm chainset. Not so keen on the new 4 arm Campag chainset.
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    I've just gone from 10sp 105 to 10sp veloce.

I much prefer the snappier feel of the campag shift and the hood shape is far better for my tiny girl hands.

Nothing wrong with Shimano, but I do much prefer Campag now.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have both campy and shimano. I'd say the shimano works most reliably insofar as it never seems to need adjustment. I much prefer the logic of the campy gearshifts which is considerably different from shimano. Not everyone agrees and I'd suggest you have a really good look at this aspect to make sure it isn't bad marmite for you!

Peter
  • ilav84
    Ive decided that Im making the switch! It's just now if I should pay the extra money for Chorus or not! Advice lads. Is Chorus worth the extra money over Athena?
  • g00se
    If you can afford it, yes. If you can't, you may get a discount on the pre 2015 stuff (5-arm spider). If you want to save a few more pennies, get mostly Athena but with pre-2015 Chorus levers for ultrashift (and possibly Pre-2015 Chorus chainset as diy maintenance is easier).
  • crvfr
    crvfr Posts: 23
    ilav84 wrote:
    Ive decided that Im making the switch! It's just now if I should pay the extra money for Chorus or not! Advice lads. Is Chorus worth the extra money over Athena?
    Difficult decision. Although I am 100% happy with my 2014 Athena carbon groupset, if I convert my other bike to Campag this year (almost certain) then I will probably stump up the extra.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    I've just gone the other way (sort of). I've been riding (and will still be riding) a Centaur/Record kitted out bike.
    I've been very pleased with the shifting although the shifters started out as Veloce and had to be changed due to a ratchet giving up the ghost. Front and back changing has been good and the shape of the shifters is nice and fits my hands nicely.
    About a month ago I bought a new "best bike" which came with Ultegra. I've done a bit over 400 miles on it so far and my impression is just as positive. The shifting is great and I like the trim function. As to comfort of the shifters, I think they are fine, no criticism from me.
    So bottom line for me, I like both and can't really fault either
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Excuse the hijack to pose a question that doesn't need answering, but I'm in a similar quandary over my dream bike. (not yet a reality bike)

I've only ridden Bianchi's with Veloce.
    My bestest bike is now getting on and I've had my head turned by a Canyon Endurace CF.

This gives me the option of Chorus 11 or for £300 more Dura-ace 9000/9001.

As I'll not be bound by the 'Italian code', I can't make up my day dream mind about which way to go.

Do I leap into the unknown, or stay with what I know and crucially understand and have the tools for?

Keeping the dream alive.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    g00se wrote:
    If you can afford it, yes. If you can't, you may get a discount on the pre 2015 stuff (5-arm spider). If you want to save a few more pennies, get mostly Athena but with pre-2015 Chorus levers for ultrashift (and possibly Pre-2015 Chorus chainset as diy maintenance is easier).

Pre and post 2015 chain sets are ultra torque. And the 2015 shifters are still ultra shift albeit with new movement in the left shifter.
  • g00se
    g00se wrote:

Pre and post 2015 chain sets are ultra torque. And the 2015 shifters are still ultra shift albeit with new movement in the left shifter.

My understanding is the cable pull is different for the right hand too. So you cent mix and match right hand shifters and rest mechs.
  • thegreatdivide
    g00se wrote:
    g00se wrote:

My understanding is the cable pull is different for the right hand too. So you cent mix and match right hand shifters and rest mechs.

That's right, but it's still 5/3 ultrashift.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    ilav84 wrote:
    .......... is there any evidence that campag is better or worse than shimano.

I think you should be in the rank beginners column for even thinking something like that. :roll:
  • Fishboyz
    Fishboyz Posts: 152
    SRAM Force? I've not from campy athena and chorus to SRAM, the double tap is very nice and intuitive. Would have stuck to it but gone di2
  • ilav84
    dennisn wrote:
    ilav84 wrote:

I think you should be in the rank beginners column for even thinking something like that. :roll:

? Was cycling with an Italian semi pro last week and he uses Dura Ace now ahead of campag.
  • thegreatdivide
    ilav84 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    ilav84 wrote:

? Was cycling with an Italian semi pro last week and he uses Dura Ace now ahead of campag.

So he's riding a bike given to him by a team and not through choice.
  • ilav84
    ilav84 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    ilav84 wrote:

So he's riding a bike given to him by a team and not through choice.

Nope he's not sponsored or anything, he's riding a wilier zero 7 that he bought himself at cost price. Rides semi pro for a team in Tenerife and he was my guide over there. He has used all 3 main groupsets and chose Dura ace over campag as he was adamant that it was the best of the 3! It made me question if I am right in switching to campag.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,034
    I would go Chorus over Dura Ace - speaking as someone with Ultegra on my new bike and Chorus on the old the Dura Ace would have to be a big step up from Ultegra to be better than Chorus.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Rob Noall
    Rob Noall Posts: 14
    I've got Tiagra (old), Super Record (11 speed), Chorus (11 speed) and Dura Ace (11 speed) on various bikes. All work, in terms of effiency changing gear and never missing a beat, there is nothing to choose between SR, Chorus or Dura Ace it is just weight and looks, plus an impossible to explain fine engineerIng 'feel'.

For me Campag wins every time on 'feel'. But if you have a tight budget both on initial purchase and on consumables as you wear out chains, cassettes etc. Shimano saves you £££s and you don't go any slower! More key is if you get seduced into upgrades, bottom brackets, chainrings, especially power meters, Shimano just has more choice and options. Campag less choice and usually eye-watering prices!

Rob