Tourist risk in London

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited March 2015 in Commuting chat
Hi all

'Fraid this is another London-centric query, although advice taken from other areas affected by Tourist influxes (Bath, Oxford, etc).

My ride is from Marylebone station to London Bridge (near Guy's). My current route takes me on a scenic tour of many landmarks, including chez Brenda (Buckingham Palace), The Mall, Hyde Park, Trafalgar Square and a few other bits.

I've noticed that tourists are starting to appear (nearly mowed down a group of Spanish/Italian/southern European teens yesterday as they wondered round like a flock of lost sheep). How "bad" is it likely to get, and should I find another, less "open bus tour" route?!?!?!?!?!? :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Just be aware that tourists often look the wrong way when stepping out onto the road. In my commuting career I've had 3 full-on no-warning impacts, one of them also on the phone at the time. Luckily no real injuries to any party, but only luckily.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    rower63 wrote:
    Just be aware that tourists often look the wrong way when stepping out onto the road.

Good call, hadn't thought of that.

No excuse for Aussies, Kiwis, Japanese, etc though!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Air Zound.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I cycled in central London as a child (1970s) and it was the same then. If you are aware of the presence of pedestrians unfamiliar with our streets, then you are forewarned and therefore prepared.

I was a motorcycle courier in the '80s and Oxford Street was one of those places where other riders seemed regularly to smack their headlamp into an overseas visitor who'd looked the wrong way before stepping out.

I would advise strongly against the Airzound route... I cannot help but see in Airzound proponents a tiny bit of the DNA mix that exists also in those motorists who blather on about cyclists not paying VED. The road is a shared community, and loud sirens blared with anger do not make it any easier to share. I have a bell (traditional) on the handlebar of every bike I ride - and have yet to find a superior means of alerting others to my presence.

Rather, rejoice in the popularity of our capital among the global community and cycle with enthusiasm but also with care.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Trafalgar square is fine except for the roundabout on the corner of Whitehall. You just need to be away of pedestrians trying to cross the pedestrian crossings when its a red man.

I watched the guy in front of me go over the handlebars two weeks ago, and then the lady he hit crying that she couldn't move her ankle as we helped them up.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    A tourist provided a soft landing pad for me when I was new to using SPDs and could not unclip in time to remain upright at Hyde Park Corner.

I think your route sounds pretty damned good.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    At least the tourists look (even in the wrong direction) when they step out. In Amsterdam, many don't realise they are on a bike path and many of those are stoned out of their trees. I hate returning from weekend rides as I take my life into my hands. A friend visiting got wiped out by some wayward peds.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Debeli wrote:
    I would advise strongly against the Airzound route...
    Agreed, if the ped has literally stepped out in front, it's too late for anything to warn them, and using an airzound as advanced warning is just silly, an airzound seems only to be usable as an audible version of flicking a V-sign to be honest - maybe popular with cycling Grey Audi drivers then!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The Rookie wrote:
    Debeli wrote:
    Agreed, if the ped has literally stepped out in front, it's too late for anything to warn them, and using an airzound as advanced warning is just silly, an airzound seems only to be usable as an audible version of ******* a V-sign to be honest - maybe popular with cycling Grey Audi drivers then!

Errr..... I own a grey Audi... :?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    The Rookie wrote:
    Debeli wrote:
    Agreed, if the ped has literally stepped out in front, it's too late for anything to warn them, and using an airzound as advanced warning is just silly, an airzound seems only to be usable as an audible version of ******* a V-sign to be honest - maybe popular with cycling Grey Audi drivers then!

Errr..... I own a grey Audi... :?
    Got to agree about the Airzounds, besides my Audi is silver. Or posh grey if you prefer.
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    You need one of this:
    armed_bikes_1.jpg
    Give a couple of days and the roads will be empty again...