Forum home Road cycling forum Tours, routes, audaxes & organised rides Sportives/audaxes/training rides

Superklassieker - 1st May (best of Flanders & Roubaix)

blimblim Posts: 333
I've done the medium route Flanders sportive twice (2010 & 2013) and am excited to be off to this in about 6 weeks:
http://www.superklassieker.be/
a reminder of the Ronde, and a taste of Roubaix!
kop van de wedstrijd

• blim wrote:
    I've done the medium route Flanders sportive twice (2010 & 2013) and am excited to be off to this in about 6 weeks:
    http://www.superklassieker.be/
    a reminder of the Ronde, and a taste of Roubaix!

My club here in Gent are doing this and riding home afterwards!

Give us a shout if you see any Robocyclo riders
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • blimblim Posts: 333
    Did this on Friday, and very enjoyable it was, too.

Pros: better than the Flanders sportive if only because I had the Koppenberg and Paterberg to myself. There were maybe 30 other riders there at the same time, so you could get a clear run. So on my 3rd trip to Flanders, I finally made it up the Koppenberg!
    5000 riders, split across about 8 different routes so you can pick and choose your route (to a degree).
    Starts & finishes across the road from the CRVV (and my hotel) so very convenient if you make Oudenaarde your base.
    Well organised and signposted, registration takes 2 minutes and is only 10 euros.
    Roubaix Velodrome! Cobbles! You can visit the showers at the velodrome too.

Cons: linking 2 classics means there's a long transition period between the Kluisberg & the Carrefour de l'arbre with not much of interest. Pretty enough if you like the Belgian countryside, but a bit dull.
    Etixx energy drink is the only liquid available at feed stops (no water) and my stomach really didn't agree with it.
    kop van de wedstrijd