First full suss - Cube or Specialized?

CammyJ
CammyJ Posts: 4
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Never has spending 2Grand been so hard!
I am totally torn between the specialized SJ Evo FSR 29er 2014 and the Cube Stereo 140 HPA Pro 2015 650. Basically I'm finding the superior ride reviews of the Stumpy are up against the superior spec of the cube. This will be my first and probably only full suss as it's a bit of a hefty outlay for me. The bike will be for trail riding mostly with days out to 7stanes tracks and the likes. Am I likely to see a marked difference in climbing between the 29er and the 650?
Any advice will be hugely appreciated as I'm one of those saddos who scours reviews looking to be put off something.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well according to a recent 'scientific' test 650B climbs much worse than 29er or 26er.....in fact it was that bit of data that kind of proved the test was fundamentally flawed really. No there won't be much difference climbing.

Considered a Trance? Canyon Nerve? Mondraker Foxy?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CammyJ
    I was close to ordering a Canyon strive 6.0. The lack of being able to sit on one to see how it felt put me off. Heard a few people say they are 'short' and sizing can be an issue.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    If you can get down to QE Country Park near Petersfield for the Hargroves demo days at the Cyclefest you may well be able try both in their 2015 spec... Though I guess that 7 Stanes means you are FAR away.

Last year I rode the basic SJ 29er and the Stereo 650b and much preferred the SJ - and for me the main drawbacks of the SJ are covered by the Evo version so I am not surprised it gets great reviews. But they are pretty different bikes I think. The SJ was a standout bike for me, while the Stereo was fine but just not exciting... and I'm not sure I am entirely convinced by 29ers. You may well have the opposite view, so get a test ride if you can.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • CammyJ
    I'm up in Scotland so that would be a bit far to travel. You're pretty much echoing what I've read so far. That specialized have nailed the ride quality. I'll just have to stop being blinded by words like "Pike" & "Reverb"!!
    Cheers
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Stumpjumper evo 29er is really good. I would have that over the Cube.
    Giant Trance is also very good but avoid the Trance SX, the big fork ruins the steering.
  • gustie
    gustie Posts: 118
    I have a Stumpy EVO - the ride is very good. Mine is a 26inch 2014 though so can't vouch for the 650B or 29 incarnations.

Well balanced and the slightly slacker HA is great decending and not slack enough to make climbing a chore.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    CammyJ wrote:
    I'm up in Scotland so that would be a bit far to travel. You're pretty much echoing what I've read so far. That specialized have nailed the ride quality. I'll just have to stop being blinded by words like "Pike" & "Reverb"!!
    Cheers

depending on where you are you might be able to try someone elses. ask on trailscotland
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Im sure the Cube is a good bike but the Stumpy Evo 29 is extremely good, its just a brilliant frame which does a brilliant job. Possibly one of the best 29er trail bikes.