Offloading Sky...but what to do about Eurosport?

PostieJohn
PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
edited March 2015 in The cake stop
A slightly misleading title as I think I have the situation covered, I just want to check if it all works fine.

I can easily live without Sky, so I'm going to get a Humax FreeSat box, after Roubaix.
But I watch more than enough cycling to warrant the £3.99 Eurosport subscription.

The problem is getting it to my TV.

I'm a PlayStation man, but it would seem a £60 preowned Xbox from Game is the way forward.

Does anybody else watch Eurosport this way, how's the service, are there any extra charges etc?

Apologises for the stupidity of this, I'm a bit of a Luddite and am struggling to come to terms with the fact that all this 'new' kit and I'll still be saving money 6 months down the line.

Things are rarely this 'easy'.

Comments

• mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I just watch it for free on the internet at:
    www.cyclingfans.com

Quality isn't exactly great, but does the job in an emergency.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    I run the eurosport player, either through my xbox 360 or on a netbook with speakers and connected to a TV via vga cable. Quality is good, my broadband isn't great but rarely suffer any buffering on ES. Big advantage over other streaming sites is that you can time shift back up to 3 hours. Just wish it was possible to use with a chromecast...
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    JackPozzi wrote:
    I run the eurosport player, either through my xbox 360 or on a netbook with speakers and connected to a TV via vga cable. Quality is good, my broadband isn't great but rarely suffer any buffering on ES. Big advantage over other streaming sites is that you can time shift back up to 3 hours. Just wish it was possible to use with a chromecast...
    Excellent, thanks for that, it's nice to know I'm on the right track.

Jnr will go mentals when an x-box appears on the shelf between the Wii and PS3.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,023
    Does netflix or lovefilm support eurosport player?

Failing that amazon fire TV? I've just bought that but am yet to install it as I've not put the TV up yet.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    I watch on the Xbox one, or if the Mrs is watching her rubbish, then I will put it on the laptop.
    As for quality, pictures good, still the same rubbish commentary though and still at completely different time to advertised :-)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    JackPozzi wrote:
    This is my best solution as well.
    It is particularly good during the Grand tours as you can get home from work, rewind and watch it "live" whilst enjoying dinner. Perfect!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • jamin100
    jamin100 Posts: 72
    I open it on either my mac, iPad or iPhone and then stream it to my apple TV.
    Quality is excellent but i get the best results streaming from the mac.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    jamin100 wrote:

And I bet you eat a banana while watching it too. :D
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    jamin100 wrote:

^This, but not sure it'll be any good without either a Mac, Ipad or Iphone. We have had Apple TV hooked up to three huge screens in a room next to my office, and I was able to cast the Eurosport App to them and it looked excellent. The Apple TV is about £60 new, or you can get them for about £40 on fleabay.