10 speed to 11 speed

Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper Posts: 420
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
The current bike I have is running 10 speed Veloce but I'm seriously thinking of going to 11 speed which would have to be Athena.
Am I wasting my money or is it worth the extra 2 gears?

Comments

• Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Getting a new rear hub puts me off more than the cost of shifters, cassette and chain. I mean its not bad until you add on the cost of a 11sp capable rear hub that's half decent - it is 25% of the cost of the "upgrade". :roll: Well in my case (on flat bars) the shifter cost is nothing like as much as on drops.

Then again I am on 8sp so going to 11sp would be a big jump. If I was on 10sp I wouldn't bother. Also personally its because I am on a 11-32t as well and now the 105 stuff (5800/11s) has a cassette going up to 32t. The ratios on it look like a dream compared to the jumps I get at the moment.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have no experience of Campag, but going up a groupset, getting the extra sprocket (I would not see it as 2 extra gears personally) and having brand new stuff/cables sounds good to me.
    That said I am not normally into changing groupsets unnecessarily, but don't know what bike you have, what condition the groupset is in, and what riding you do.

Is there a new bike on the horizon? Wait until then for 11 speed perhaps?
    Any option to go more than one groupset up to make a bigger difference?

Have you upgraded wheels already?
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Th rear hub might not need to be replaced. What wheels do you have?
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I heard there's a Mavic wheel with a spacer you can take off that although was never sold as 11-speed, can be made to work. For whatever reason it just normally had a spacer. The last discussion I was reading it was only this one Mavic that might work (when it isn't sold as an 11sp) but don't quote me on it.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I have Veloce 10 on one bike and a Chorus/Athena mix on another.
    In my opinion the only reason for upgrading has to be that you want to enjoy the improved shifting quality of Chorus. I just fitted new Veloce shifters to my winter bike as the previous RH one was a bit sticky and clearly in need of a bit of tlc. Veloce works really well and there is no real world downside to only having 10 speed cassettes.

One bike 2 the Chorus shifter I bought were 2nd hand but they are lovely. More tactile and a better quality shift that is hard to describe vs Veloce. It just feels nicer. All Veloce misses is the multiple (single click) downshift that you get on Ultrashift (Chorus/Athena). Oh and the Athena front mech has a trim that makes running in the inner ring extremes a bit quieter.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    It is quite an expensive upgrade for what would only give you a closer ratio cassette. Do you often find yourself 'between' gears in the middle of the cassette? If so, does this ruin your rides?
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    I'm actually doing exactly the same.

I couldn't afford to go up to Chorus and prefer the look of Athena.

As far as I know as long as your wheels are within the past 5yrs or so you won't need a new hub anyway.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The current bike I have is running 10 speed Veloce but I'm seriously thinking of going to 11 speed which would have to be Athena.
    Am I wasting my money or is it worth the extra 2 gears?

Is it worth it for one extra gear? IMO no; there's lots of things which will benefit you on a bike before doing a 10 to 11 speed upgrade. But your money is your choice.
  • Sorry guys I've been in work all day with no signal.

The bike I have is 2015 Genesis Volare 20 so isn't very old and I have already upgraded the wheels to a pair of Campag Scirrocos.

As for riding I'm just out on my own or with som evils from my local club on local A and B roads.

Mark Hewitt what would you recommend as a benefit to me.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Sorry guys I've been in work all day with no signal.

The bike I have is 2015 Genesis Volare 20 so isn't very old and I have already upgraded the wheels to a pair of Campag Scirrocos.

As for riding I'm just out on my own or with som evils from my local club on local A and B roads.

Mark Hewitt what would you recommend as a benefit to me.

Wheels, tyres, brakes, carbon bars, carbon seat post, better saddle, chainset, pedals. Or if you're really wanting to spend then a new bike!