Giant P-SL1 Wheels (2013) 11 Speed Conversion

indyjones
indyjones Posts: 114
edited July 2016 in Workshop
Hi all,

I have bought an 11 speed groupset for my 2013 Giant Defy Advance 1, which comes with P-SL1 Wheels.
I have been using a pair of Shimano RS80's though as these are not 11 speed compatible I thought use the factory and swap the freehub as they are dt swiss hubs.

Roll on today and it turns out that my freehub is not a 240 as i was lead to believe but rather a 370/onyx hub! (the 350/240 free hub adapter I bought is very different)

http://www.sykkel.com/teknisk/GIANT%20W ... fo_V01.pdf

Despite searching the net i have not found any 11 speed free hubs for the 370/onxy. This is really annoying as 2014 P-SL1's are 11 speed compatible and have a 370 hub.

Has anybody converted their wheelset or got any idea on what I can do please?

Thanks

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Buy this: http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/dt-s ... tAodcyMAFA, swap the freehub bodies and endcaps, then stick the new hub with 10-speed freehub on eBay. If you get £40 for it, you've paid much the same as buying a replacement freehub on its own.

I should add that I have not tried this and don't know that the hubs are interchangeable. I did do a 10-speed for 11-speed swap on some DT Swiss 180s recently, and that went without a hitch and without the wheel needing redishing. A bit of vernier gauge action will be needed to check that the measurements are right.
  • indyjones
    964Cup wrote:
    Buy this: http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/dt-s ... tAodcyMAFA, swap the freehub bodies and endcaps, then stick the new hub with 10-speed freehub on eBay. If you get £40 for it, you've paid much the same as buying a replacement freehub on its own.

I should add that I have not tried this and don't know that the hubs are interchangeable. I did do a 10-speed for 11-speed swap on some DT Swiss 180s recently, and that went without a hitch and without the wheel needing redishing. A bit of vernier gauge action will be needed to check that the measurements are right.

Thanks I had not thought of this as my understanding was that the new 11 speed hubs were smaller in length based on what I saw with the 240?

DT-Swiss-Shimano-11-speed-hub-diagram2-600x425.gif
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    File off the ridges at the end of the splines and you should be good for 11 speed

http://whosatthewheel.com/2015/01/29/th ... witchover/
    left the forum March 2023
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    indyjones wrote:
    Thanks I had not thought of this as my understanding was that the new 11 speed hubs were smaller in length based on what I saw with the 240?
    They can be wider, by 1mm or so (which is what your diagram shows), which doesn't matter given the flexibility of chainstays. When converting an existing design, you could have a narrower hub body, but that's an expensive way to make an 11-speed hub. It's easier to have a freehub body with a narrower inside flange (effectively what Paolo is suggesting you do with a file). If you can't get all the extra 1.85mm needed this way, you can shorten the DS endcap. This moves the smallest sprocket outward, which may eventually get marginal for driveline (and will certainly make running small-small crosschained harder). Ultimately, if that's still not enough, you can shorten the NDS endcap, which will mean redishing the wheel - moving the rim across towards the DS to bring it central on the axle. This is what, e.g., is involved in converting a Zipp 2012 wheel to 11-speed: you get a new axle, with a new shorter NDS endcap and an 11-speed freehub. You install the axle, then redish the wheel. So far, of the three wheelsets I've converted, the Zipps were the only ones that needed redishing; the others (DTSwiss RR525R and Vision TC24) just needed a new freehub.

I don't know how DTSwiss approached this for this specific (370) hub when moving to 11-speed, but it doesn't really matter if you're rebuilding the wheel anyway; you'll have to dish it. The hub I linked to will certainly fit your bike; whether it has the right spoke pattern for your rim, and whether you can use the existing spokes to rebuild it, I don't know - but for £90, it's probably worth a shot. You can presumably get the measurements for both 11-speed and 10-speed hubs and compare them first. Note that in the 240 example you show above, the flange location difference is 0.6mm relative to the hub centre; trig will tell you the effect on spoke length, but in the case of the 240, I don't think it will be material.
  • indyjones
    Okay thanks all, something to think about.
  • I have PM'd you
  • ginsterdrz
    ginsterdrz Posts: 128
    964Cup - PM'd you.