Tyre Combo

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Is there such a thing as all round tyres?

Im looking for 26" tyres that wont break the bank but will work well for trail centre riding in all but extreme conditions - spring to autumn riding.

Any advice would be great as local bike shops always recommend what they have in stock, and say anything else isnt as good. Weird that isn't it! :shock:

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    my tyres are all round, they have to be to fit my wheels :lol:

there are plenty of tyres that fit the bill, it comes down to budget, rim width and how much side wall protection you want.
  • mathematics
    POAH wrote:
    my tyres are all round, they have to be to fit my wheels :lol:

Haha walked right into that one!! :)

Max of £30 each I reckon, Max width of 2.3.

I've looked at Nobbys, Ralphs, High Rollers, Maxxis Ardens and advantages, etc etc

I was looking at putting a nobby on the front and a ralph on the back, my LBS said try nobbys front and rear just run opposite rotation on the rear.
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    I like a highroller front, and ardent rear
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    For trail centres just get something cheap like On One Smorgasboards or Chunky Monkey if you're regularly bashing rock gardens.
    Fancy compounds and protection systems are pointless on surfaced trails.
  • mathematics
    Nairnster wrote:

Which High Roller?

What about Advantage FR Ardent R?

Or Advantage Fr and R, or Ardent FR and R?
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Nairnster wrote:

Which High Roller?

HR II (newer version) is better than the original. I've also used it in combination with the Ardent on the rear and can confirm it's an excellent combo that copes with everything except sticky mud.
    What about Advantage FR Ardent R?
    If I was using those two tyres, I'd put them the other way round. Would be good combo on smoother, faster trail centre stuff.

Those on-one tyres are excellent for the money, though...
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    For trail centres just get something cheap like On One Smorgasboards or Chunky Monkey if you're regularly bashing rock gardens.
    True, and I've also had inner tubes practically rot before getting a puncture on those. The TE models have amazing grip on all but really soggy stuff, and don't roll too bad. They don't weigh that much, and they cost nothing.

Yeah, I like them.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Specilaized Butcher Control's are £30 each, 2.3 width, tubeless ready, not too heavy, pretty tough, grippy and not too slow. They make a great all rounder but if you are only riding hard packed trails I would consider something faster for the rear.

I think it depends on your trail centre but I wouldn't ride a lot of them without tough tyres. Lightweight thin ones just tear up, I've learned that the hard way. Also just because it's a trail centre doesn't mean it's all flat and tame. I was at Comrie Croft yesterday and some of that was quite rocky and muddy in places. Laggan and Kielder are two more great examples where there are quite a lot rocks to kill your tyres. A lot of trails at trail centres don't have an artificial surface, even some of the trails at Glentress are as dug.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Lewis A wrote:
    True, and I've also had inner tubes practically rot before getting a puncture on those. The TE models have amazing grip on all but really soggy stuff, and don't roll too bad. They don't weigh that much, and they cost nothing.

Yeah, I like them.

+1

I really rate this combo. The Trail Enduro ones are noticeably draggier than the harder compound but the grip and predictability is lovely. Easy for tubeless too.