What have I done?

skins2
skins2 Posts: 78
edited March 2015 in Commuting chat
Hi all

Long time no post but I do check in and read the posts here occasionally. I used to commute, hence posting in this section.

I had a bike accident back in June and haven't done any exercise since. Before the off I was either running or cycling every day but I just haven't had the motivation to put the lycra back on (although I've put the weight on instead). My road bike was damaged and I've not had the urge to get back on my 'cross bike so I've decided to sell it (it's in the classifieds) and buy a new bike.

I know it's a bit risky but I figure if I'm going to ride again it may take something new and shiny. I'm not sure if I've made the right choice but I've just ordered this:

contender1.jpg

I've never ridden fixed before so it's probably crazy, but it just may work. I'll update on my progress if anyone's interested.

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    It looks fab and I'm a great believer in whatever it take takes to motivate you to get back in the saddle.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    Looks good. Sadly, you will be requiring at least one more.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,735
    You have bought a fixie.

I therefore determine that you either live in flatlands or you have beard and wear tight clothing at all times.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Frome's quite hilly, so your added weight won't be with you for long. Would think the beard & tight clothing quotient increase the closer one gets to the Cheese & Grain.
    Nice bike - See you in the Rapha "Archive Store" in Shepton next month!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A front brake to make it legal would be nice......

Does look nice, but not at all my cup of tea!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • skins2
    It does come with brakes, front and rear. It'd be crazy to ride without brakes although I can sort-of see the charm of increased simplicity. I do wonder if the rear brake will be of any use when on the fixed sprocket.

Frome is quite hilly but they're generally not big hills. I plan to get back in to cycling with my 7-year-old son again and I think his 7 gears will be a bit of a leveller. I've just read up on the Rapha store and it's an interesting placement! (though I've not been to Shepton for a while). I'll probably check it out but think I'll stick to the Gore price level to save up for the mandatory tattoos.

Hey MRS - you're a FCCUKer aren't you?

Thanks for the support - watch this space.
  • meanredspider
    Skins2 wrote:

8)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Not my cup of tea, but pretty.

But in FROME???????? It's a bit lumpy round thereabouts!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    Skins2 wrote:

8)

LOL, I just read that as unwarranted written abuse to start with :lol:

Lovely looking bike OP.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • meanredspider
    Daniel B wrote:
    Skins2 wrote:

8)

LOL, I just read that as unwarranted written abuse to start with :lol:

I'm sure there are some on BR who'd think it was fully warranted abuse :wink::D
  • skins2
    I'm sure there are some on BR who'd think it was fully warranted abuse :wink::D

When I pressed Submit I did then wonder if I'd got it wrong and offended/confused someone.

Had my first cycle (and bout of exercise) in 9 months this morning. Good weather for it. Things I learnt:
    • I'm not quite as unfit as I thought I'd be
    • The hills are more noticeable
    • I need to fit the rear brake
    • The strangest thing when cycling fixed for the first time is still pedalling when you're braking
    • My moobs are so big my nipples now chafe on my bib shorts (never did before)
    • Cycling is a lot of fun and I'll try and get out again at the weekend
  • jspash
    jspash Posts: 107
    Beware, riding fixed can be addictive. I haven't had the road bike out in 3 weeks.

I even managed to make it to the top of Swain's Lane for the first time without having to lean on the wall at the speed humps. It took a bit of zig-zag-ziggin though. Still, I managed to keep ahead of a guy (apparently with a bad case of asthma or out-of-shapedness) on an Allez until the very top where he "won". Still, I take the moral victory.