Another SMIDSY

craigmorgan
craigmorgan Posts: 89
edited March 2015 in Commuting chat
So on the commute home last night, enter a roundabout as it was clear and aim for my exit like usual. When I watched a lovely freelander drive up to the roundabout as i was crossing and not stop.

Result is a crushed bike, lots of road rash and a 3 inch hole in my leg and a cast to stop me bending the leg while the stitches do their bit (if not skin graft).

Best thing was that the car behind the idiot was a police officer on the way home, and then 2 minutes later the A&E doctor pulled up as he was trying to get to work.

What was more annoying is that I was 5 minutes faster to that point, and I only had 1/2 mile to go before I got home.

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

Comments

• katiebob
    katiebob Posts: 208
    Ouch! Happy healing!

I got taken out on a roundabout by a car full of GPs! At least you were in good hands pretty quickly!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Get well soon. Glad it wasn't more serious.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Bugger, looks like you were relatively lucky...in that you could have had worse injuries than you did.

Hope you get a new bike sorted soon.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Counting my lucky stars today after seeing the bike

On the bright side, I needed to change the bottom bracket bearings.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Indeed, glad you're not more badly hurt. Heal fast and enjoy thinking about what you're going to replace it with.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,686
    That will polish out.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    OUCH, glad you are OK, GWS.

Make sure you account for EVERYTHING in your claim.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Just filling out the claim forms, everything is damaged on the bike and all my clothes etc

It's starting to mount up, Hopefully it all goes smoothly. My leg has had quite a few stiches now and a cast so will be off the bike for a while, typical when I've had a good winters training.
  • Just seen a picture of my knee from the hospital my father took, will save the forum from seeing the hamburger meat
  • veronese68
    You could post a link to the picture so the squeamish have the option of not looking, that's what I did with the picture of the large hole in my arm.
    Good luck with the claim and all of the associated grief.
  • That's certainly is a Crack'n'fail, but I think most frames would fail in theat circumstance.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • jspash
    jspash Posts: 107
    Just curious, was the freelander white?

I have a (ir)rational fear of white SUVs. Not because of some traumatic childhood incident, but because 99.9% of them that I happen to cross paths with (or not) tend to be driven by shaven apes who've somehow been granted a driver's license.

Don't judge... some of my best friends drive white SUV's. (and they're all berks)
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    That will polish out.
    If not then use some duck tape. Then put the driver on and give him a friendly push down some long and steep hill.
    Of course only after you got your compensation. A few weeks back I was about 2 inches away to go through the same but I got away (very loud shouting and gesturing).
    Hope you get well soon...
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Glad to hear you're in a reasonable condition, all things considered. Lets hope the police involvement at the scene speeds things along; my case took 22months to settle
  • jspash wrote:

I have a (ir)rational fear of white SUVs. Not because of some traumatic childhood incident, but because 99.9% of them that I happen to cross paths with (or not) tend to be driven by shaven apes who've somehow been granted a driver's license.

Don't judge... some of my best friends drive white SUV's. (and they're all berks)

This one was dark blue or grey, he parked away from me so only got a slight glance when he hit me.

Hoping that it goes quickly, today is back to the hospital to see if the stiches are holding up and more talk to the solicitors as they had closed when I left the hospital on Monday.

The police where ok, just said that he will prob be charged and get a driving course to go on.

Have added a link to the gore/hamburger meat. The problem with sealing the wound is that usually the skin is pushed to one side but they seem to think that my handlebars came back and punched out the wound so no skin there to put back, they have had to pull the skin from my knee and surrounding areas.

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr116/slick990/1F0F18F7-F64C-48B3-9D13-5E3F3BA726DE.jpg
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    jspash wrote:

This one was dark blue or grey, he parked away from me so only got a slight glance when he hit me.

Hoping that it goes quickly, today is back to the hospital to see if the stiches are holding up and more talk to the solicitors as they had closed when I left the hospital on Monday.

The police where ok, just said that he will prob be charged and get a driving course to go on.

Have added a link to the gore/hamburger meat. The problem with sealing the wound is that usually the skin is pushed to one side but they seem to think that my handlebars came back and punched out the wound so no skin there to put back, they have had to pull the skin from my knee and surrounding areas.

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr116/slick990/1F0F18F7-F64C-48B3-9D13-5E3F3BA726DE.jpg

That'll polish out as well.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • elbowloh
    jspash wrote:

You should definitely get a large canvas print of that pic as the advert at the bottom of the page of your link recommends.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Make it a meme: cycle to work they said, it'll be good for your health.
  • veronese68
    That's only a little scratch. I chuckled at the offer of a large canvas print too. Did you have bar ends in our handlebars? I think my handlebar hit the inside of my thigh when I was doored, there is still a sort of dent in the muscle. I had lots of bruising there, but it didn't break the skin.
  • Did have bar ends but one of them came out, can't think what else would give this size puncture wound.

A large canvas is a very good idea

As an update the surgeon is happy how its coming along, stitches will be out in two weeks but I still have to put up with this silly cast.

Will have to chase the insurance tomorrow (BC membership) as apart from a quick call on friday I haven't heard anything. Hoping I won't have to take the bike anywhere to be assessed for repair and they will do it off the photos, will be funny taking a bag of bits to a shop though.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Note to self - find a handlebar plug before getting back on bike.

OP - ooohh. I wish I hadn't. Happy healing. :-)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Add incremental cost of commuting to the claim!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    Yes, end plugs are far more important than people realise. As Rookie said add any increased expenses you have for travel whilst you are off the bike. I was lucky and managed to get lots of lifts to and from work with the occasional bus and it still added up to well over £100.
  • I think next bike will have locking bar ends, this one had the simple push fit ones.

They were there before I left so must of popped out when the driver hit me. It was strange as instead of putting his foot on the brake he just kept turning left which pushed the bike back in to me.

So lesson learnt locking bar end plugs!
  • elbowloh
    I'm going to be attaching cushions to my bar ends.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    jspash wrote:

Ouch. GWS and good luck with the claim. Do you have 3rd party insurance?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I'm a bc member, so it's in the hands of there solicitors. Filled out all the insurance forms but will phone tomorrow as I havent heard much.

The cast is proving difficult, just moving anywhere is hard work!
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    You'll end up in the hands of "Leigh & Day" and then it's down to the legal team you have.

In my claim the first person I had working the case was fairly useless and it drifted on and on, up until it was put in the hands of another person. Within 3 months of taking the case over, we were headed to court, date set etc until the other side capitulated and provided full recompense for injuries and expenses.

Rode the result of the claim into work today :)
  • It does seem a bit slow at the moment as it moves around the admin people.

Hopefully it will speed up once it hits the right person