Bike has been in the Garage for a year!

junglemusic
junglemusic Posts: 2
edited April 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi All

I bought my mountain bike around 3 years ago (just a £300 cheapy from Halfords) and was using it fairly regularly until this time last year when we had a baby. Since then, the bike has been sitting in our garage all over winter doing nothing. It wasn't particularly clean when I left it (although it's not caked in mud either) and I'd like to start using it again this year as the weather improves.

My question is.... should I stick my bike in to the local bike shop for a service? And how much, roughly, would that sort of thing set me back?
Could I service it myself? (I'm a complete amateur and don't really have a lot of time to spare. Not for boring stuff like taking a bike apart, anyway)
My main worry is the chain. It is bone dry and looks like it may have started to rust in places. This started happening even when I was still using the bike so I started caking on the lube to keep it ticking over. Now it hasn't been touched in a year I think it might be too late for that. Can chains be rscued or is it just easier to replace it?

Any help much appreciated, and apologies if I've stuck this in the wrong part of the forum.

Comments