Planet X 52mm Clinchers review

jasondxb
jasondxb Posts: 59
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Picked a set of these up in the sale a couple of weeks ago, arrived in Dubai after about 8 days, delivered by DHL

I bought them because I liked the look of them and if I am honest was not expecting to notice real difference in performance

They where packed really well and seemed to be true out of the box, I have read other people having issues but these where all good

I decided to fit them myself, was a bit nervous about taking the cassette off the old wheels , but an hour later they where on the bike. Looks like Ill be doing a bit more maintanence myself having discovered how easy things are. I also discovered that the wheels I took off, Team FSA 30's, where on their last legs. The rear has been destroyed by all the sand over here, to say it was crunchy when spinning it was an understatement

Went out to the local cycle track we have over here, 18k's almost arrow straight. On the way out the headwind was outrageous, and the 1st thing I noticed was how easily you get blown all over the place using deep section rims. Being a slightly heavier rider it was not too much of an issue, but I would imagine if you are a bit of a lightweight, they could be a handful

They seem to roll alot better than my previous wheels and once above 30kmph I found it easier to stay there, so much so that over the 36k ride I managed my quickest time ever. It was not the wind as that's a constant factor here at this time of year

All in all a great purchase and it should keep me motivated to train that bit harder