Tubs & Tape

Tiesetrotter
Tiesetrotter Posts: 432
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Recently dipped into the world of tub's because I have bought at a steal some nice light carbon wheels. To date I have used the cross my fingers approach to getting a flat which seems to have worked luckily. However just changing over to new tubs and I am going to use tufo tape as all I have read is it is easier and as a cautious cornerer and descender will do me. But here is the question:

If I do get a flat:
1. does the tape in peoples experience stay on the rim and I just sling on a replacement tub once I peel off the old flat one?
2. Or should I carry a spare tub and spare ring of tape
3. Or attach tape to spare tub with rim side unpeeled and then sling onto rim (seems open to user error on tape placement to me)

Advice much appreciated.

Comments

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    i've always used a pot of tub glue - easy enough to use. when replacing in an emergency there's enough glue left on the rim to keep the spare on
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,175
    just use glue, vittoria mastik one, it's not difficult

carry a pre-glued spare tub, once the glue on the spare is dry, roll/fold the tub basetape to basetape and secure with a couple of rubber bands, keep it in a ziploc bag so that rain/whatever doesn't get to it

fwiw i carry a bottle of tufo exteme, works very well for small punctures, but anything big needs the spare
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I'm another one who would use rim cement rather than tape. My one experience of tub tape wasn't very good, when I peeled the tyre off half the tape came away on the base of the tub and the rest stayed on the rim. I also found it much more difficult to get the tub to sit evenly on the rim.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,036
    You can carry a spare that has a bit of glue on it or carry a roll of tape - it's a long time since I used tape but from memory I don't think you can rely on the tape staying on the rim ready for your spare tub so if you want some adhesive there it's either a new roll or preglued tub. The advantage of fresh tape is the tyre is properly secured - a pre glued tub sticks better than you'd imagine and is of course quicker to change but it's a temporary solution.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    To get back on track - absolutely nothing wrong with tape. Works perfectly without the time consumption, hassle, mess, smell and faffing around of glue.

I've used it for years and so have friends (world/national/Commonwealth level, so not too shabby).

The tape tends to come off on the tub, so leave it on, roll old tub up, wrap in place bag and tuck in back pocket.

When you need it, just unfurl, fit, inflate off you go.

I know some people love glue but I really can't see the point. But that's just me.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.