Old Noob - Cannock regular

VX Foxy
VX Foxy Posts: 6
edited April 2015 in MTB beginners
Morning chaps and chapesses
Having lived 15mins from Cannock for 12yrs I'm embarrassed to admit that I've only just discovered the the trails and I'm loving it.
Had my first fall the other day (those pebbles/cobbles are slippy!). As it was midweek the trail was quiet (FTD) but I managed to fall off in front of a group of 5 guys having a rest. Bloody embarrassing! And it hurt. A lot. At 44 I don't bounce like I used to! I think some body armour could be in order. Do many ride with armour? Also need some training- any recommendations at Cannock?
I've never used spd pedals but have used clips for as long as I can remember, am I mad to use these on a trail? Obviously they're loose so I can easily get my feet in and out.
See you around :D

Comments

• dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    Hi!
    Welcome to the forum (and the Chase!!).
    It's great having it on our doorstep - love it!

Body armour - I ride with knee and elbow pads most of the time.
    I got some 661 Rage Pads from www.startcycles.co.uk in the sale last year for a decent price.

I started off with toe clips (no straps though) and quickly decided that a decent pair of grippy flat pedals is much better.

Training I've used CHASE SKILLS Alex there is a top bloke and they also put a % of their takings back in to the trails.

Chris
  • VX Foxy
    Brilliant, thanks for that Chris. I've dropped Alex a line with a view to doing their intro course on the 11th April - looks like good value :)

Might see you there one day!
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    No probs mate.
    Alex is a top bloke.
    I mainly ride on a Sunday morning and Tuesday Evenings.
    Also living a couple of minutes from Shoal Hill I sometimes have a blast round there if I'm pushed for time.

What bike do you ride?

Safe riding!
  • VX Foxy
    I ride a 13 yr old kona kahuna (blue/white) with hope m4 discs. I guess it's old school now but I've hardly used it until recently.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Another +1 for Chase skills.

I don't wear any armour (don't own any) at Cannock and have never had an injury that it would have prevented (have had a few it wouldn't have!) but I always wear long sleeves.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Keith47
    Keith47 Posts: 158
    My 22yr old son has been on at me for months to go to Cannock with him ( he has a proper MTB, rockrider 8.3, I've got a Boardman MX race, with almost roadbike tyres!! ), so today I gave in and went there with him.
    It's the best riding I've ever known!!
    Even on my massively inadequate bike it was an absolute blast, did have a bad fall at one point, banged myself up rather badly, but I was having too much fun to care!! :D
    I'm now looking to get a decent MTB, can't wait to go again, still buzzing from the experience 6 hours later!!
    Acquitted myself quite well I think for a 53 yr old!! :D
    The problem is we are not eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products.