Problems for Race Cyclists in Thailand

ianfra
ianfra Posts: 5
edited March 2015 in Amateur race
For us 'foreign' road/track cyclists living in Thailand we are having enormous problems with the Thai Cycling Association. Although we have contacted the UCI they willfully refuse to acknowledge that these problems exist. Now we have more evidence of malpractice which 100% breaches UCI rules and the Olympic Charter at the Thai Cycling Association:

1. Under UCI rules, icences should be issued to overseas riders living in a country other than their own by the Federation in that country. This year the Thais have asked foreigners to pay 5 x more than locals for this licence (breaches Article 3 of the UCI Constitution). They have also asked for evidence of residence (fair enough). One rider paid the full amount, produced evidence (ie House book and visa stamps) as required but was refused a licence.

2. A Race in Thailand that awarded UCI points had a number of foreigners on the podium (photographic evidence)- however the result submitted to the UCI was not the same as the actual result. There were no foreigners in their listing to the UCI, thus denying UCI points to overseas riders and the Thais garnering more points for themselves. (Can you imagine this happening in the UK?)

3. A non-Thai rider and UCI licence holder won two time trials held under UCI rules. The evidence that we have is the time that he was given was doctored so that the win went to a Thai rider not a foreigner.

4. A rider with half Thai nationality was given slower times in a UCI track meet for the 200m than he actually recorded so that he was unable to contest the finals against 100% Thais.

5. They have refused to accept an Asia-continental team into the Tour of Thailand, because "that team does not have enough Thai riders" when in fact the real reason lies elsewhere.

Make of this what you will. I am putting the evidence together in a dossier to present to the UCI.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Cookson is the head of the UCI - he can't do everything. Presumably there is a division of the UCI better placed to handle this ?

Maybe address the Commissaires - http://www.uci.ch/contact/

Good luck with it - sounds awful.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    cougie wrote:
    Cookson is the head of the UCI - he can't do everything.

True - but he COULD have directed the complainant to someone who could/would be helpful. As it is it just looks like UCI complicity with/tolerance of corruption within the Thai cycling federation. Sadly though, as it's a "cultural" issue I doubt the OP will get anywhere, and certainly runs the risk of falling foul of the Thai authorities. I suggest they relocate somewhere where they will be accepted as it's not going to happen in Thailand.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    For all we know - he has forwarded it to the relevant department but cant spare the time to investigate personally. With his transparency I doubt he'd have asked for the Doping report and deliberately hushed up the Thai scandal.
  • ianfra
    ianfra Posts: 5
    I have heard from Brian and he is under a lot of pressure at the moment. I will get a response in due course. But I think the wider cycling world should be aware of the serious scamming that is going on against our fellow cyclists here in Thailand.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Funny and sad reading your report, funny because what they are doing is completely typical of the Thai attitude to foreigners doing anything in their country, overcharging farangs is a nationally set policy and one which they are unlikely to change as it all goes in someones backpocket.
    Sad for Thais aspiring to become better as well, as they will never acknlowledge lack of performance as this comes dow to that all encompassing ridiculous notion of face.