Which tubular sealant?

jordan_217
jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Could someone please recommend me a tubular sealant. I've used the Tufo stuff in the past and while it's held up I found it awful to use (it kept blocking up in the applicator nozzle). On training rides I carry a spare tub but also like to carry a sealant too, just in case.

I'm using Conti tubs and valve extenders if that makes any difference

Please - I just want some recommendations on a sealant, I don't want a tubs Vs clinchers debate. :roll:

TIA
“Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”

Comments

• noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Stans sealant. I've used Tufo, and it is a bit of a bugger for clogging the valve. Cant comment on the effectiveness of the stans yet but i've added it to the tubs as a preventative measure rather than a hopeful fix in the event of a P word. Fingers crossed!
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    As with any recommendation topic you’re going to get conflicting opinions. The one time that I've had to do a sealant fix on a tub (miles from home) I stuck some Tufo Extreme in and was back on the road in no time at all. No issues since. It’s held and the valve isn’t blocked.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Thanks for the responses.

I've ordered a small bottle of the Stans and I'll hopefully never get to find out how good/bad it is. I still have a bottle of the Tufo but based on my first experience of it, I'd probs not use again. It just seemed to clog up in the nozzle quicker than I could get it into the valve. It made a right mess. (yes I followed instructions and yes I shook it well).

Looking forward to shakedown on my race bike ahead of this seasons first race, next Saturday
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    the only time i had to use sealant was in italy and it was the Vittoria one and it allowed me to finish the event, tub was a vitt corsa.

i don't use it as a preventative, only as a last resort, as it will ball up inside the tub and unlike tubeless you cant get it out.

Stans is amazing in a mtb tubeless tire setup.