First proper road bike buying advice - £700 budget

danhoro
danhoro Posts: 7
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
I have a budget of up to £700, and looking for the best value at that price for something that will serve me well on my daily commute but also good for longer leisure rides.

I seem to have found two options that looked good for the money:

Felt Z85 (wiggle exclusive edition), £599 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-z85-wiggle ... ustReviews

Jamis Venture Race 2015, £640 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jam ... e-ec072100

Was also looking at a couple of Cannondales in the Evans sale, but they seem to be running out of stock quickly.

Any advice on which of the above you would go for? Or any other suggestions?

Comments

• plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    Slightly above budget Rose pro sl 2000 ... Light, reasonable wheels, 11 speed 105, £765

Its £120 more than the Jamis but far better IMO.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Planet X Pro Carbon if you can get one for your price. May end up a tad over but worth a look anyway.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^^This or 2nd choice the Planet X RT58 Alloy
  • danhoro
    Thanks for suggestions so far. That Rose looks great and I'm seriously considering it now. It is quite a bit more then the others (comes to £808 with packaging and delivery), so I'd have to adjust the budget a bit.

The Planet X is another new one to me. If I'm stretching up to £800 it looks like I'd be going for this: http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPVEL ... -road-bike

How does that compare to the Rose? I'm afraid I really am a novice when it comes to comparing specs - I tend to look at the gearing and frame/fork material but the rest is all Greek to me!
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Both will be good buys IMO, it depends if you want a carbon or alu frame. I have a Pro Carbon and still like it as much today as when I first got it, TBH I ride it just as much as the Canyon I have.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes, both a lot of bike for the money IMO.
    Recently road the 11 speed 5800 and was very impressed, but would also be tempted by the Campag.

As much as I do not like welds, the Rose looks v nice.
  • AAddict
    AAddict Posts: 77
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58RI ... UKFRIDAY13

Use code UKFRIDAY13 to get it for £799
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    If it were me and I was looking for a bike to commute and for leisure rides, with no interest in going for Strava KOM's, then I would be looking at something like a Cannondale CAADX Sora Disc.
    Sora is 9 speed and plenty good enough for a commute/leisure ride, the more gears then generally the more hassle.
    CAADX frame and fork has mounts for mudguards and racks, useful for a commute rather than having to use a backpack etc.
    Disc brakes are generally better in the wet, which if commuting invariably it will rain...

Planet X bikes and the Rose bike are good bikes, but are they what you are looking for?
  • danhoro
    The commute is only 10 minutes each way and I won't need a rack. The main use will be cycling around Essex B roads for leisure/fitness - something I hope to do a lot more of. For fitness reasons I want to be able to push myself a fair bit, hence wanting something that will handle a bit more aggressive pace. I've previously had a bike fitted with Sora, so I have to admit that going for a higher spec is also partly motivated by wanting something that feels a decisive step up.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    If I were you I'd get that Planet X linked above with the code. I don't think you'll find anything better for that kind of money. All reviews I've seen of it are very positive.
  • wide phil
    wide phil Posts: 51
    Ive just bought a Defy 3 from Rutland, last years model.. back then it was 749 so I got it for 400. Like the Sora gears so far and no need to go to 700 budget. Just a thought
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Just going by your thread title - first proper road bike -now assuming you do not know much about road bikes then I would be wary about online deals. A well fitting bike is better than a bike with all the bell and whistles which fits worse. Planet X do have store so its worth visiting if you live close. I would discount the Rose unless you definitely know your sizing and what you exactly want from the bike.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If your commute is only ten minutes you can pretty much get any bike you like. For longer commutes, especially in wet weather disc brakes etc. come into consideration.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'd get something that takes mud guards so you can use it comfortably through winter - especially if commuting. I agree about the importance of fit - I might my first bike locally TBH or at least get a bike fit. Less hassle too if you are new to maintenance. If you do buy on-line then planet x london road.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.