Scott CR1 Frameset for £499? any reason not to?

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
I bought a new groupset and wheels with the intention of putting them on my current frame but part of e is thinking of getting a new frame as well.

Does anyone have any experience of the Scott CR1?
http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott- ... aign=54264

for the price it seems really good.

I am after something that is good for longer rides but a little 'racy' too.
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    I assume you've diligently read all 95 pages of this.....

viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12924826&hilit=CR1
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Yes, do it! I did :)

Head over to this thread and introduce yourself viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12924826

Note that this is not the same 'SL' frame which is discussed in that thread, this is the slightly lower spec model which was also on sale last time, in that thread it's referred to as the 'pro' frame, which is the one I have :)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Along with dozens of fellow forumites I bought the CR1-SL a couple of years ago when Westbrooks were selling those off for £500. I'd long been considering a CR1 because the short top tube suited my long legs / short torso body shape, and at £500 for the SL frameset the barclaycard was out and I was clicking the BUY button.

Arrived with the press-fit Shimano BB installed. All I had to do was press the headset cups into the frame (bought a Heath-Robinson DIY headset press off Ebay for a fiver; just threaded rod, nuts, washers and spacers) and drop in the bearings. Carbon steerer needed cutting to size, but that was easier than cutting an alloy one. Even came with some clear patches of helicopter tape for cable-rub points.

First I whipped all the gear off the alu bike to build up the CR1 because I was keen to see how it rode (I did need to buy a new seatpost since it took a 31.6mm one.)

Then I bought the extra bits to build 2 complete bikes, the alloy one with proper guards for winter / wet and the CR1 for best!

Sublime ride from the CR1; you won't regret it if the geometry suits you
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Looks like a bargain. Check out the Planet X RT58 frame too, which I think is £400 at present.
  • chris_bass
    My only slight gripe is I'm not keen on the colour. Never really liked grey bikes.

I will admit to having seen that thread but the 95 pages scared me slightly so was hoping i could get a condensed version of it here :-)
  • The CR1 Pro that's currently on sale shares the same "sportive-friendly" geometry as the CR1 SL that was also £500 back in 2013, but this year's bargain weighs a whole 100g more for frame and fork (phew!).
  • keef66
    Chris Bass wrote:
    My only slight gripe is I'm not keen on the colour. Never really liked grey bikes.

I will admit to having seen that thread but the 95 pages scared me slightly so was hoping i could get a condensed version of it here :-)

It is a bit underwhelming visually, but it was the only way I was getting such a quality CF frame set for £500. Mine's all black / grey / silver but you could easily brighten it up with cables, bar tape, saddle and wheel choices.

I don't worry about the colour scheme when I'm riding it; it still makes me grin!
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    Im thinking of going for one of these.. Ive got a giant defy composite at the moment with full ultegra, I was just going to swap components. could someone tell me if the giant BB is compatible as im not sure about BB terminology..? :?
  • markhewitt1978
    The frame comes with a BB so just use the one already installed.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Another happy CR1 SL frameset owner here, mines built up with SRAM Force. Was going to do the old component swap thing between bikes but Merlin were doing great groupset deals so built up as complete bike in the end. Brilliant for what I spent, don't think I could have got close to this package elsewhere. Tyre clearance is a little tight, but have managed to run Michelin Pro 4 Endurance 25mm tyres (come up closer to 27mm) on Campag Zonda wheels.

Hadn't ridden it for a few months as had been using the alu winter bike, but managed to ride the Cr1 last weekend and it flies by comparison. Recommended. I also like the understated colour....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • markhewitt1978
    A friend of mine was planning to get Laporte Sensium 400 for £1700. I told him he might be better off getting one of these frames especially as he already has a wheelset to go on it.

The Scott frame and 5800 groupset and finishing kit should come in at about £1,000.
  • turbo1191
    I was wondering about tyre clearance as I run 25mm pro 4 service course. @luv2ride, is there sufficient clearance?
  • markhewitt1978
    I'm currently running GP 4 Seasons 25mm and they fit with room to spare. I've just ordered GP4000S 25mm and I'm assured they fit.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    For me on MY scott, no. 25mm pro 4 rub on the rear, they're fine on the front though.

They're a great buy for the money. As above though, the lack of tyre clearance on the rear is annoying on what is supposed to be a 'comfort' bike.
  • russello
    russello Posts: 102
    Re tyre clearance, depends on your wheel rim width

I have some wheelsmith race 23 (mm) and using these and a 25mm tyre is a no on my cr1. Just a little too tight on the rear.

However, just had some 19mm wide Ambrosio Excellight built for Paris-Roubaix sportive, and a 27mm open pave tyre fits no problem.

Hope that helps.....

Russ
  • turbo1191
    I run 21mm carbon clinchers most of the time. Looks like my tyre of choice would have to change if I went for this frame.. :?
  • keef66
    turbo1191 wrote:
    I was wondering about tyre clearance as I run 25mm pro 4 service course. @luv2ride, is there sufficient clearance?

I have just fitted those very tyres on RS10 wheels on my CR1 and there's ample clearance. Prior to that it ran 25mm GP4Seasons which were similarly fine. Might be a problem with wider rims...
  • markhewitt1978
    To clarify I am also running 25mm GP4Seasons with RS10 wheels. Which I believe are about 21mm rims?
  • markhewitt1978
    Clearance for tyres and mudguards are the only real reason 'why not to' for this frame. If it's your only bike that you have to ride through the winter, as it is for me, then it can be an issue.
  • keef66
    Clearance for tyres and mudguards are the only real reason 'why not to' for this frame. If it's your only bike that you have to ride through the winter, as it is for me, then it can be an issue.

I'm lucky in having a dedicated wet weather bike; racelight Tk / full mudguards / 25mm GP4S / long drop brakes. I can keep the CR1 for the drier days.

Not sure I'd want to ride it on filthy / wet / salty roads. There's a curious little hole in the seat tube just above the BB that's right in the firing line for spray from the rear wheel. (anyone know what it's for?) Having a press-fit Shimano BB you can't just whip it out to check for water ingress.
  • turbo1191
    Got another bike for winter, it would be strictly summer use. cheers for all the input guys.
  • keef66
    turbo1191 wrote:
    Got another bike for winter, it would be strictly summer use. cheers for all the input guys.

Definitely no reason not to then!
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    buy, buy, buy!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • turbo1191
    Just pulled the trigger on one... can't wait to get it started.. :)
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Couple of years back a friend of mine built up two of these for people (assuming they are basically the same frame this time?). Both of us rode them and thought they were perfectly ok bikes but both agreed we wouldn't want one ourselves as we both found them pretty dull to ride, efficient and fast yes, but dull on the handling front. They'd make a good winter bike though.
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    I am thinking of going with this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRAMESET-SCOTT-CR1-PRO-2012-/321680409282?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item4ae5a582c2

The colour scheme is better as long as they have the size you need.
  • chris_bass
    Not sure I'd trust that seller
  • turbo1191
    Yeh likewise. Would rather buy from a trusted outlet.. and I like they grey/white combo.. :)
  • Agree with the above- buy from an authorized dealer as Scott's warranty/ aftersales is fantastic.
  • looks like a great deal. is the saving a real saving or one of those sofa shop savings? would the frame fit some h+son rims with 23 gp 4 seasons? I've changed from stans rims to h+son and the no longer fit my supersix with crud catchers.

thanks
    Ross