aero v brake- solitary arm working

mulletmaster
mulletmaster Posts: 502
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Hi guys recently I purchase a BMC tmr01. It has an integrated front brake like this

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tmr01 ... B600%3B473

Basically it's the shame system as an old fashioned Argos bikes v brake. Anyway, the only adjustment available on the is a preload screw on each side which doesn't do a lot.
As it stands only my non drive side arm moves on pulling the lever. The drive side lever doesn't budge despite moving freely by hand. I've mucked about with the preload to no avail.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Still probably the preload - sometimes you need to bend the spring a bit to get them equal. I've never seen those brakes in person - can you access the spring with the noodle disconnected?
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Thanks for the input! The preload screws are on the outside of each arm and can be adjusted at any time.
    The noodle inside that 90% bend is a bit draggy and may be contributing to the issue. Am I right in thinking the stuck side needs more preload and hence the screw further in?
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yes, that makes sense - it's a balancing act so that one in or the other side out can do it.

If you're all the way in though you sometimes need to bend the spring with the brake released as the tension just isn't enough.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.