Zipp hubs - problems

pkelly76
pkelly76 Posts: 8
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
I purchased a set of Zipp 303 firecrest clincher wheels last year. The back hub never really settled properly and was always quite loose despite being sent back to the shop early on and tightened according to the Zipp instructions. After 2000km they were sent back to the UK dealer for a check and I have been told the bearings need to be replaced but they will not do this under warranty. They are asking for over €120 to do this work which is an insult after such little usage. As you will appreciate, zipp wheels are not cheap and one should expect high quality from them and decent after sales service.

In short, I have been cycling since 1987 and have never come across more flimsy hubs and I am very upset with their unwillingness to play fair and honour the warranty. I am going to escalate this complaint as they are being totally unfair. Has anyone else had problems with Zipp hubs within two years of purchase and if so was the warranty honoured?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    There is a thread in the workshop area about Zipp hubs problems, if you are happy I will merge this topic to this

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12930058
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You may also want to Fisher outdoor leasuire they may help. Often they do things out of good will. The shop may be in the right according to the warranty as warranties do not cover bearing wear and tear. However having an unhappy customer is a different matter. I think the main issue you have will the new bearings lead to longer bearing life or just another 2000km. Also forgive my ignorance but how does a bearing change come to 120 euros. I know this is not the point but maybe you could do this yourself for alot less. Not familar with Zipp hubs but they use standard industrial bearing the size of which is stamped on the seal. Bearings can be had from £4 each upwards depending on the brand. Even INA bearing cost less than £10 so I would get handy and do it yourself and forget the shop. You can try to pursue it and you may get somewhere this time but what about next time. 120 euro a go is quite expensive.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Zipp hubs are bobbins
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    LegendLust wrote:
    Zipp hubs are bobbins
    They aren't that good. In 2014, I used my 303's for around 2000km. The front preload had to be adjusted 7 times.
    Rubbish.
  • Fishboyz
    Fishboyz Posts: 152
    I love the rims but the hubs are utter gash....my rear on kept coming loose and making all sorts of strange noises...its a shame but until they sort this out i'd never by zipps again. Quality is like a set of wheels for 200 notes. I prefer the ENVE business model of basically selecting the hubs you want
  • pkelly76
    Also forgive my ignorance but how does a bearing change come to 120 euros.

Thank you for your response everyone.

That is what the workshop quoted £108 i believe? for a full hub service and bearing replacement- however they have now said that the hub needs replacing and have agreed to complete it just for Labour cost of £30.

All in all, I have been without the wheels now for a few weeks and have had to go through a lot of emailing to get it sorted but have agreed for my own peace of mind to pay the labour cost. I have told them that I still think this is unfair as I have no more than 2000km on the wheels. There is a set of corsa cx tyres on them (soft compound) with full threads on the back tyre still and these have been on the wheels since I get them.

Overall, Zipp hubs for me have been the worst quality I have ever encountered and having asked around my cycling club no-one has a good word to say about their hubs. Thats just being honest about it. For over €2k a pair one should expect much much better.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    pkelly76 wrote:
    Overall, Zipp hubs for me have been the worst quality I have ever encountered and having asked around my cycling club no-one has a good word to say about their hubs. Thats just being honest about it. For over €2k a pair one should expect much much better.

That seems to be the overwhelming feedback. I frankly don't know why they insist in making their own hubs, with all the problems they have experienced... they should just team up with a decent manufacturer, like many others do.
    That said, among the lightweight hubs, only DT Swiss seem to be problem free... Chris King give similar issues and so do Tune
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    It is shocking that the most expensive kit can be the most unreliable. Zipp should team up Miche or DT swiss. Hell even novatec hubs sound superior to what Zipp make.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • pkelly76
    I picked up the wheels today and the inner hub had been replaced entirely. It was done as a good will gesture by SRAM with no charge. I would say that their correspondence was quite good but their final decision would have been no less than I would have expected from a premium brand, especially given the level of use.