Cassette spacers...

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited March 2015 in Workshop
I think I know the answer to this but can't find a definitive one via a quick search. Am I right in thinking that in order to fit a 10 speed SRAM cassette onto a 11 speed Dura Ace freehub I need 1mm+1.85mm spacers?

I'm pretty sure that's what is required for a 10 speed Shimano cassette but have an irrational suspicion that someone once told me (rightly or wrongly) that a SRAM cassette wouldn't need the 1mm spacer so now I'm unsure. Rationally I presume that SRAM and Shimano 10 speed cassettes are structurally the same but would rather ask... Cheers!

Comments

• paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    Normally an 11 speed hub comes with a 1.85mm spacer for a 10 speed cassette.
    Some Shimano cassettes come with an extra 1mm spacer, SRAM cassettes don't.
    I fit my SRAM 10 speed cassette to my Mavic 11 speed hub with the supplied 1.85mm spacer.
  • munkster
    Normally an 11 speed hub comes with a 1.85mm spacer for a 10 speed cassette.

Yep it did...
    I fit my SRAM 10 speed cassette to my Mavic 11 speed hub with the supplied 1.85mm spacer.

Mine's not a Mavic hub though...
    Some Shimano cassettes come with an extra 1mm spacer, SRAM cassettes don't.

I think it points to me needing to only use the 1.85mm spacer - anyone else corroborate?

Cheers for help!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    It will depend on the wheel/hub etc
    Fulcrum Zero -- 1.85mm for 10 speed on its 11 speed
    FFWD F6R DT Swiss hubs - the same....

You'll soon find out if you have it wrong.. when the shifting is all over the place!
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    The Sram 10sp cassettes i have used, do not need a 1mm spacer as its part of the carrier, so u need only the 1.85
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Shimano 10sp 105, Ultegra & DA cassettes need the 1mm spacer, as they are narrower than a 9sp or 8sp cassette (well, milled-out at the back if we're being precise, which the spacer fills) .

Tiagra 10sp cassettes, and SRAM 10sp cassettes don't

The reason for this is that some years ago when DA and Ultegra first came-out 10sp, a few high-end Shimano DA & Ultegra wheels had a special slightly wider and with deeper splines 10sp-only aluminium freehub (onto which 8sp & 9sp cassettes won't fit)

Previous Shimano 8 or 9sp hubs, and most other-make hubs would take 8 or 9 cassettes - plus the narrower DA or Ultegra (and later, 105) 10sp with the 1mm spacer.

Shimano later went back to the previous standard with steel or ti freehubs, so the Tiagra 10sp cassette is also wider and doesn't use the spacer (I guess Shimano thought you might fit a 105 cassette onto one of the fancy 10sp-only DA or Ultegra wheels, but not Tiagra...)

SRAM never did it, they always stayed with the same, slightly wider cassettes.

So you should need only the 1.85mm 10sp-to-11sp spacer for a SRAM 10sp cassette on a DA 11sp hub
  • munkster
    Outstanding info, appreciate that, many thanks.