Rear light that attaches to saddlebag

fatdaz
fatdaz Posts: 348
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for a bright, preferably rechargeable, rear light that I can attach to the saddlebag of different bikes. I have a Knog Blinder on my single speed which I think is brilliant but it only attaches to the seat post so it's no good for the bikes I use for longer rides where I always use a saddlebag. Does anybody have any suggestions for lights that'll clip onto the saddlebag?

Cheers

Comments

• holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    The Lezyne Zecto Drive rear has a clip on the back that can attach to saddle bags.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have the Cateye holy hand grenade thing (TL1100 possibly??)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cate ... -prod64508

It's 7 years old and probably outclassed by newer LEDs but it's still pretty bright, has good side visibility, came with an effective saddlebag clip which I use, and runs for hours on 2 x AA rechargeables. Survived a couple of bouncing down the road episodes when I failed to properly clip it on, so it is pretty robust.

Downsides are it's a bit heavy, and it's relatively expensive. Newer, brighter, cheaper and lighter ones are now available.
  • holiver
    I have one of those as my main rear light and I am not sure I would want it bouncing around on the back of a saddle bag.

I think a lightweight rechargeable is the way forward.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,236
    I "had" one of these on the back of my saddle bag.

LED-1-V104-Y7-FEMTO-PAIR-SILVER-V1-R0.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

I say had because it's been sat there quite happily for a good few months doing what it was doing exceptionaly well until I got home a few rides ago and it had bounced out of the clip.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    If you only want it clipping to a bag and don't need the bike mount, how about saving a few quid and getting this:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LISMRTR1/s ... ut-bracket
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Smart R1 light is excellent. Very bright flash. I'd just worry about the angle its being held at by the bag. If it dangles down - then its no use.
  • keef66
    cougie wrote:
    Smart R1 light is excellent. Very bright flash. I'd just worry about the angle its being held at by the bag. If it dangles down - then its no use.

That's what I find with the hand grenade; it's very directional. Fortunately my seat pack holds it nicely vertical. If it were to droop downwards it would be pretty useless.

Was considering the Smart from Planet X as a back-up light
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    holiver wrote:
    The Lezyne Zecto Drive rear has a clip on the back that can attach to saddle bags.

That's what I use with my saddle bag and unlike others I've tried doesn't end up pointing downwards.
  • holiver
    AAA batteries needed for the Smart instead of being a rechargeable unit. That being said it is extremely cheap!
  • keef66
    holiver wrote:
    AAA batteries needed for the Smart instead of being a rechargeable unit. That being said it is extremely cheap!

That's OK, I already have a supply of rechargeable AAA's too!
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I'd avoid the Smart because it doesn't like getting wet.
    It's not well sealed at all and water gets in pools at the bottom where the switch is -> corroded and knackered.
    Shame really, as it's a really good light other than that.

This P-X http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPHBPDRL/ ... rear-light is £2.99 and is very good too