Two headset questions...

Angus Young
Angus Young Posts: 3,063
edited March 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
First...

My headset was lose. If you bounced the front wheel there was there was a low frequency rattle. So I tightened it. But... I don't seem to be able to find a sweets spot between the headset rattling (too loose) and being able to feel, and hear, the bearings rolling when I turn the bars (too tight). Any thoughts where I'm going wrong with this?

I did put a Pike on the front of my Kona so there was some disassembly and reassembly but I was very careful to get it all back together as it came apart so, hopefully, I got that right.

Second...

Anglests. Anyone using these? Do they work? Are there any drawbacks? Do they stress the frame, perhaps? Any recommendations? Current head angle is 67.7°.
All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    First.

Try harder. It's often a very small margin. The tiniest tweak on the top cap. You will be able to feel the bearings as they are there and moving. Keep trying, then give it a service and make sure you do your stem bolts up properly. Mine never come loose.

Second.

On a fully head angle will change constantly - why bother? Most of us a re no where near pro enough for it to make a jot of difference.
  • Angus Young
    Try harder. It's often a very small margin. The tiniest tweak on the top cap. You will be able to feel the bearings as they are there and moving. Keep trying, then give it a service and make sure you do your stem bolts up properly. Mine never come loose.

Ah, O.K. Perhaps I just need to persevere. The feeling and hearing of the bearings is quite pronounced compared to my other bikes. On those bikes it's very hard to detect the bearings in acton.
    On a fully head angle will change constantly - why bother? Most of us a re no where near pro enough for it to make a jot of difference.

The only criticism I've read in tests of the bike (apart from weight, which I've largely taken care of) is that the head angle could be slacker (this was only on one test, though). I figure it's a relatively cost effective way to eek a little more out of the bike. Just want to make it as good as I can though, of course, you're right, the bike is already way beyond me.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Angus, if you have a loose ball bearing headset type, make sure you positioned the ball gage facing the right direction

if not this will cause the cage to rub on the race causing a draging noise and no matter how hard you try to adjust it it won't do, it's easy to miss!!!

As far as angleset, it slackens out the head angle and steepens the seat angle = more downhill oriented geometry,
    on some frames may counteract the slugish climbing caused by slacker HA because it steepens the seat angle at the same time thus giving you a more comfy position for riding uphill.
    won't stress the frame in any way
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Angus Young
    Herdwick wrote:
    Angus, if you have a loose ball bearing headset type, make sure you positioned the ball gage facing the right direction

if not this will cause the cage to rub on the race causing a draging noise and no matter how hard you try to adjust it it won't do, it's easy to miss!!!

I might check that, though I was quite meticulous in noting the other of parts when I took them out when changing forks and then putting them back in the same order. Might be worth taking a look though, just in case.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You did swap the crown race over?

I ask as a friend of mine didn't...fortunately he sold his old forks to me and got the CR back along with a diagnosis of why the forks were either too tight or rattly!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    The Rookie wrote:
    You did swap the crown race over?

I ask as a friend of mine didn't...fortunately he sold his old forks to me and got the CR back along with a diagnosis of why the forks were either too tight or rattly!

Yes. Getting that off and on was one of the more interesting parts of the swap.