Lake Annecy Climbs

venster
venster Posts: 356
edited March 2015 in Tour & expedition
I'm off to the southern end of Lake Annecy (Doussard) for a few days in June and will likely take my bike. Can anyone suggest some nice roads/climbs to do while I'm there...

I've noticed there's a climb up to Semnoz from Annecy...any other's?

Can't really travel to any climbs far as it's a break with the Mrs and can't be out too long..

Comments

• cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    Col de la Forclaz... one of the best views anywhere in the Alps

10488796_747522788619037_1135976687_n.jpg

Steep on both sides but the north from Talloires is marginally easier than the south

https://www.strava.com/segments/746211

There are some great roads in the Bauges area south of Semnoz

You are also within striking distance of Croix-Fry, Aravis and Colombiere

Have a look here: http://ridewithgps.com/users/185323/routes
  • cc78
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Lots of great climbs in the area. You can climb Semnoz from the north, starting at Annecy, or from the south, via the Col de Leschau and the D10 minor road. The Col de la Forclaz on eastern side of Lake Annecy is really beautiful and very tough from either side, particularLy from the south.

For longer rides, you can do good loops via the Col de l'Epine and col du Marais to Thones and back to Annecy along the main road D909. From Thones you can go up the Col de la Croix Fry, one of my favourites. You can then go up the Col des Aravis, down to Flumet and back to Doussard, either on the main road or smaller hillier roads .

Anothe recommended longer ride is to head south from the Col de Leschaux to Le Chatelard and then up the Col des Pres to the outskirts of Chambery before turning back north up the Col de Plainpalais and back down to Lescheraines, Col de Leschaux and Doussard.

There's a good flat cycle track all the way along western side of the lake into Annecy.
  • venster
    venster Posts: 356
    Thanks guys, certainly a few things to look at.

View from the Forclaz is very impressive..I think that'll be on my list.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,870
    also a thanks from me, because we are looking at this area for a summer holiday!
  • cc78
    This is a fantastic location for a holiday if your partner/family/etc are not into cycling as there are tons of other activities and sights in the area (although Annecy itself is very busy in peak season, ie second half of July and most of August).

I cycled round the lake yesterday, the work to extend the cycle path down the east side is progressing well.
  • bigcgilmour
    bigcgilmour Posts: 106
    I cycled from doussard up to colombiere a few years ago, it's a fair old hike but I quite enjoyed it. The forclaz is much nicer no doubt, but there are lots of nice wee routes around and plenty of hills in the area. Doussard is a nice wee quiet village too, might be going back there myself this year
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    The aforementioned climb up to aravais is fabulous -- from either direction. Perhaps my favorite cycling loop (the descent from aravais towards annecy is beautiful). Just a great location for smaller climbs (other than semnoz, which is just long, and col de croix fry, where there is no shade).

It is a longer trek but you can get to columbiere or seistre (getting the name wrong and I rode it in July-- basically right off flumet) .... And even roseland but that's a big day out.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Also Col d'arpettaz is a nice long climb - seem to remember it going on for ever but it was the morning after the night before. End of lake follow road towards Ugine and just before village its signposted on the left.